338 lapua loading help

Thanks guys all input is appreciated, I have used Barnes ttsx in my short mag and the rifle loves them but I dont trust the bullet past the 500 mark. I took a stinky old muley last year at 480yards, when I recovered the bullet it looked like I could of reused it in my rifle again. I havent ruled out the barnes yet but they are tougher to get a hold of than the Berger or Smk's so I will be trying them out first.

At least it did not blow up!!!! Did the Muley drop, or run? I have personally had Bergers blow up on me . This happened 3 times, with two different rifles/ calibers, and speeds. Two were with a. 7 mag, one at 219 yards, and the next one was at 365 yards. The third was with a 300 ultra mag. Distance was just inside of 200. Perfect broadside shot, behind, and centered on shoulder. Deer dropped immediately. When I walked over to her, 20 mins, later, she got up, gasping , then I noticed a HUGE flesh wound , pie plate size. She made it to the woods, and we tracked her for nearly half a mile. Did not find her, but with the amount of blood we found, I thought she wa past the next tree. This experience has damaged my faith in Bergers. It really pains me, because nothing I have ever shot is MORE ACCURATE, then these things, but I only have one DRT since I began using them, and 3 blow ups. Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but just wanted to comment on MY experiences with the VLD's. Maybe in a larger caliber, it may, or probably is a different situation. ( thicker jacket, etc.) just my two cents, thanks again!

At least it did not blow up!!!! Did the Muley drop, or run? I have personally had Bergers blow up on me . This happened 3 times, with two different rifles/ calibers, and speeds. Two were with a. 7 mag, one at 219 yards, and the next one was at 365 yards. The third was with a 300 ultra mag. Distance was just inside of 200. Perfect broadside shot, behind, and centered on shoulder. Deer dropped immediately. When I walked over to her, 20 mins, later, she got up, gasping , then I noticed a HUGE flesh wound , pie plate size. She made it to the woods, and we tracked her for nearly half a mile. Did not find her, but with the amount of blood we found, I thought she wa past the next tree. This experience has damaged my faith in Bergers. It really pains me, because nothing I have ever shot is MORE ACCURATE, then these things, but I only have one DRT since I began using them, and 3 blow ups. Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but just wanted to comment on MY experiences with the VLD's. Maybe in a larger caliber, it may, or probably is a different situation. ( thicker jacket, etc.) just my two cents, thanks again!

Im curious as to what grain of bullet you were shooting out of your 300rum??

I have been shooting 185gr and 190gr Bergers through mine and have experienced entrance holes the size of pie plates but thats not where it stops it takes everything behind that pie plate sized hole and throws it through the BERGER BLENDER and drops it back inside the chest cavity...

My cow elk i shot opening day 300-350yds away. Broadside, shot in the base of the neck..
Couldnt even tie a rope around her head or neck for dragging her out 4 miles because all that was left was some fur attaching it to her body.

My big ol stinky mulie. 400 yds + some change. Chasing a doe up the mountain across from me. Hit him right between the shoulders as he was going away from me. Again pie plate size hole destroying the tops of both the shoulders and blowing everything in its way out through a pop can size hole in his neck.

Second cow elk. 707 yard going up through an opening after getting jumped by some other hunters. One shot one dead elk! Right into the boiler room and destroying her right shoulder, boiler room had been through the BERGER BLENDER! !!

So far i am sold on Berger bullets sence i have switched from the barnes tsx i have never shot twice and never had an animal leave there tracks they were shot in.

2011-11-24_20-55-08_212.jpg

Here you are, im sorry i dont know what my fingers were doing i said right shoulder was blown out ment left.

Again this is the exit side at 707yds. No exit though.

GO TEAM BERGER!!! lol

That was a 190gr berger out of my 300 ultra. I wish i had a picture of the entrance side. It was extreme and everything inside was destroyed! It went in perfect through the lung heart area and the stomach was completely destroyed also and the bullet never touched it. The shock that comes along with these bullets is devastating. As you can see in the picture of the exit side at 707 yds.

I will be sure to post pictures of what the 300 gr bergers do out of the lapua this up coming season!! I can only imagine..

That was a 190gr berger out of my 300 ultra. I wish i had a picture of the entrance side. It was extreme and everything inside was destroyed! It went in perfect through the lung heart area and the stomach was completely destroyed also and the bullet never touched it. The shock that comes along with these bullets is devastating. As you can see in the picture of the exit side at 707 yds.

I will be sure to post pictures of what the 300 gr bergers do out of the lapua this up coming season!! I can only imagine..

I will be doing the same, in one of my alpine areas.

Personally i would just work strickly with the berger 300gr bullets and get your charts profected and enjoy the performance of the berger bullets. I had the same problems with the barnes tsx 225gr. hardly any mushroom through a hot loaded 338wm on a mulie at 250 yards dropped right into the shoulders. Not impressed because i was getting more penetration and a 100 times better mushroom out of a 225gr. Hornady interlocks.

the loss of meat due to bloodshot is ridiculous. from what I gather you don't seem to care about the waste. just ain't right.

the loss of meat due to bloodshot is ridiculous. from what I gather you don't seem to care about the waste. just ain't right.

Id sure like to correct you sir!

I do care Actually! ! It's my only source of meat and is eaten at almost every meal. I do feel bad when i ruin a little meat but i also like a clean kill without an animal suffering. When i can i go for a head or neck shot with no wasted meat!, but id like you to tell me that everytime you pull up on an animal that you get that perfect shot with no wasted meat..

And please go into details about what you have "gathered" about me not caring about wasted meat. What i have said in previous posts was to express my experiances with the penetration i have received with these bullets without them blowing up on impact... and how the Barnes tsx was a poor mushroom but that shoulder shot was completely unintentional on a walking deer that chose to stop at the same second i squeezed the trigger. But im not going to explain my self to you.

Im sorry you had gathered that i was one of those who go out and shoot for sport when i am taking and animal. I do agree with you about people who dont care about meat loss or dont even eat the **** meat but sir i can assure you i am not one of those people..

The gentlemen who was asking for load data was curious about the berger bullets so i posted a picture of one of my experances. Guess that's probably out for next time huh....

Thanks, 500

I do care Actually! ! It's my only source of meat and is eaten at almost every meal. I do feel bad when i ruin a little meat but i also like a clean kill without an animal suffering. When i can i go for a head or neck shot with no wasted meat!, but id like you to tell me that everytime you pull up on an animal that you get that perfect shot with no wasted meat..

And please go into details about what you have "gathered" about me not caring about wasted meat. What i have said in previous posts was to express my experiances with the penetration i have received with these bullets without them blowing up on impact... and how the Barnes tsx was a poor mushroom but that shoulder shot was completely unintentional on a walking deer that chose to stop at the same second i squeezed the trigger. But im not going to explain my self to you.

Im sorry you had gathered that i was one of those who go out and shoot for sport when i am taking and animal. I do agree with you about people who dont care about meat loss or dont even eat the **** meat but sir i can assure you i am not one of those people..

The gentlemen who was asking for load data was curious about the berger bullets so i posted a picture of one of my experances. Guess that's probably out for next time huh....

Thanks, 500

Hey bud I was happy you posted the pic and I also only eat non steroid injected meat only. I was asking about the load data and your pic is an added bonus, Im shooting the 300g bergers with 94g of retumbo with some good promise so far. Here is a vid of some early shots at 1000 yards behind my cabin. I have since shot about 300 more bullets down the tube with better accuracy.
[ame="http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/?action=view&current=20120521_103815.mp4"]20120521_103815.mp4 video by heydino - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid233.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee306%2Fheydino%2F20120521_103815.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid233.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee306%2Fheydino%2F20120521_103815.mp4[/ame]

Thanks, 500

Whoa, no need to get mad. The pic just looked a little destructive. Maybe it was not as bad as it looked. It just looks like only the hind quarters are edible.

I started looking for a different bullet years ago because of seeing my animals look like the pic that you posted. I have been using GS Custom bullets now for years and will not change. I have shot many animals from very short range to fairly long. I don't have any really long shots to give feedback. The longest is an atelope at 726 yrds. Longest elk at 600 yrds, and several deer between 500 yrds and 600 yrds. bullet performance has been flawless in all cases. I have not had any tracking sessions, even when I should have. Meat damage is very minimal. Quite frankly, they just make animals dead.

My .02

Steve

Not mad just thought it was pretty bold of someone that knows nothing about me to assume i care notging about meat loss. But yes you are correct in that picture it is of the most damaged side..
As i said in previous posts it went in through the lung heart area and exited into that shoulder.

Hard to beleive there is a bullet out there that wouldnt do alot of damage when accidentally shot into the shoulder...

I am the same way you are with your bullets.. ive had extremely good luck with berger bullets and WONT be changing anytime soon.

Thanks for the bullet recommendation though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.