.338 Lapua - H50BMG Loading Data?

Kanab

250 and 300 SMK's? Thanks in advance for any links or data. This powder works really well in my 300 RUM with heavy bullets, I have about 30 lbs of it so I thought I might give it a try in the .338 Lapua.

I have just begun to load for a 300 RUM. Many recommend Retumbo, but H50BMG should fill the case. What's your load data in the 300?
db

Thanks Don, I will be working in the 200-220grn bullet range. I chronographed some 216s with 102grns H50BMG at a little over 3000fps with a Lilja 3 groove so I guess I'm in the ballpark so to speak.
db

Don

I have tried H-50bmg with my lapua with 30" barrel. For me it filled the case up before i reached any kind of pressure. I couldn't reach that point and not be able to fit the powder in the case. Really to slow of powder and i don't think all the powder was being ignited. This is all with the 300gr sierra bullet. My overall length is right around 3.9". I think i am going to try the H-50 with The 300gr. wildcat bullet as it seems to have a longer bearing surface than the Sierra's thinking that the longer barrel surface will help create more friction with the bullet to help burn the powder better to get better velocity.Might be thinking wrong.

I have had the best luck with Retumbo.

Matt

Nice to see you here Don. Message to everyone else, Don's the best scope guy if you need a new scope or have questions.

I have 3 new custom Lilja/Kirby RUMS with heavy Lilja 30" SS barrels - I'd love a heads up on H50 load data for these guns.

I also need the ultimate BC bullet for my 375 RUM so I can compete with Kirbys awesome 338 Kahn. Now that Richard Graves/Wildcat Bullets [email protected] is making 375 pills, I might just have a chance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

H50BMG is really too slow for Lapua with 250 and 300 gr bullets. The slowest powder that is published is AA-8700 and H870.
I too would point you towards Retumbo. Perfect burn rate for this application.

DonUT,
you can use H50BMG but it really is too slow for this application,use RL25 and you cant go wrong.
I noticed you are from Kanab ,awesome town I have spent many weekends the last two years in the fall passing through on our way to the East Kaiparowitz for desert bighorn hunting. great mexican restaurant on the east end of town on 89.
B

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I do have some Retumbo and will give it a try. Fired some groups at 1080 yards today with the Sierra 250 SMK / H4831 / Fed Mag primer / Norma brass in an Armalite AR-30 5 shots just over 15" with some wind. That same load prints .3XX at 100.

23.75 MOA drop from my 100 yard zero. Not too bad.

Trying some Lapua 250 boat tails tomorrow. Both of my suppliers are out of 300 gr. SMK's which is what I am hoping will be 'the load' for this rifle.

I think I will try the H50BMG just for fun eventually but a keg of Retumbo is on the way tomorrow.

For any of you who have not had the chance to shoot the Armalite .338 LM -- It sure is a nice handling rifle for the money. My trigger breaks at 2 lbs with no goofiness, after adjustment and the felt recoil reminds me of a .308 in heavy gun. The muzzle blast is another story.

--Escobars!-- yum

I have some H50BMG as well and was going to try it will some of my Hornady 285grs or even 200Grn bullets. Was thinking i would try about 100gr with the 200's and see what I get. Not sure what to load for the 285's? Any ideas? But yeah, the 200's are smaller so might be able to get more powder in the case. Figured I'd give it a go. Like some of you said though, might just be to slow for that case. Im loading 100gr of Retumbo with 200gr bullets already. So we will see what the H50BMG does.

try some 300 grain otm bergers. I had insane resuts with those bullets both at the range and against big game.. the match kings never really shot for me.. I used retumbo and h1000.. i tried others and never got theresults I wanted!!

kasey

try some 300 grain otm bergers. I had insane resuts with those bullets both at the range and against big game.. the match kings never really shot for me.. I used retumbo and h1000.. i tried others and never got theresults I wanted!!

kasey

awesome...what loads were you running on the 300gr bergers?

I was loading 89.8 grains h1000 with a 26 inch barrel. coal was 2.970 to ogive of bullet.. lapu brass and fed215m primers.. I just started using cc250 primers and the es went to +/- 5 fps 10 shot average.. with the sameor better accuracy at 200yrds. velocity was around 2725.. dropped an elk 1 shot at 1104.. velocity isnt everything:) .988 inch group at 500 5 shot group..

kasey

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts