.338 Lapua for Mountain Goats?

Don,
The 338 Lapua is just about as ideal for Kodiak as you can get if you can only bring one caliber. I think that you guys will have a great time, the blacktails are very plentiful. You will probably not encounter any bears, but even if you did you will not have anything to worry about considering you're carrying the 338LM.
Hope this helps,
Brandon

Oh yeah, coming from an ol' Arkansas boy, man it gets pretty chili in November. Especailly in the higher elevations.

Just Learnin'
What part of Kodiac are you going to ?
I went there in 1996 for a sitka black tail hunt and stayed in the saltery lake area. there are only 3 species of big game on the island the goats, the deer and the bears and they are all there in abundance. I went in sept. so I dont know if the bears will still be out in november. just for a bit of advice make sure you get in good shape the vegetation is so thick that it saps your energy hiking through it (of course the goats are above the vegetation but you will still have to go through it to get to the top)whatever you are planning for film or chip space on your camera at least double it, this place is the MOST beautiful spot on the planet (that I have been to anyway) and yes a 338 Lapua will be perfect. I used a 7-30 waters pistol to shoot my deer and freely admit I WAS A DUMB *** to do so.
I guarantee you will have the time of your life as long as you are in good shape. B

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.