Mountain goat bullet selection.

Gunnuts

It must be my lucky year, I drew a mountain goat tag for my home state of Wyoming! I have heard these goats are hardy animals. I plan on using a 6.5 PRC for this hunt. Just wondering opinions on a good, consistent bullet to use for this hunt?

Last edited:
Congrats on the tag!

I used 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips out of a 10" T/C Contender in 30/30 Win for my only goat. He didn't drop in his tracks (took a couple of shots) but he didn't go far and, luckily, he was not in a spot where he would be falling off any cliffs. Based on seeing several whitetails run after being hit with a 300 RUM or a 338 LM, sometimes with a shoulder hit, I think the key is to get both shoulders and/or the spine. A goat isn't very thick and doesn't have particularly heavy bones, so you don't need that much penetration to get both shoulders.

Last edited:
Talk to Cody;

It must be my lucky year, I drew a mountain goat tag for my home state of Wyoming! I have heard these goats are hardy animals. I plan on using a 6.5 PRC for this hunt. Just wondering opinions on a good, consistent bullet to use for this hunt?
You dog you! We need to hang out with you and maybe we can hit the Loto,
Thats FANTASTIC!
We never won anything i our lives except meeting each and getting married - was worth more that a Billion LOTOs
Have a great time on your hunt and be SAFE! Send PICTURES and a story!

God Bless
Len & Jill

That's a hunt of a lifetime..

I would use the 140 berger hybrid or 156 eol... Both of those will end a goat with no problem.. We use them on Barbary sheep all the time and they get the job done...
Although.. when I kill barbary I have started using bigger calibers... 33 Nosler was the last and that goat didn't take a step..
Shoot what you have absolute confidence in.. you will have success if you use something familiar and proven..

Good Luck Amigo!

I assume your twist is 1-8". So I would run either our 124g Hammer Hunter or the 134g Shock Hammer. We run the 124's at about 3200 fps and you should be able to about 3100 from the 134's. Either of these will do a fine job for you. If you use our bullet then I get to live vicariously through you. After all I will be part of the hunt since I touched the bullet that kills your goat. lol

I can't speak to goat, but I can tell you my experience for Bighorn Sheep from last year.

A friend recommended fast and flat. I went with 140 GR Nosler Accubond. Held great groups for me, shooting 280 Remington.

I had been shooting a heavier bullet, but came with more drop. I switched to the lighter AB Bullet and it performed well for me and my rifle.

I am now an accubond fan, only 1 animal taken, but it did the trick! Had a 260 yd shot (225 HCD on the rangefinder, was a 450-500 vertical down, I was zeroed at 200, so very little holdover, and now he's on my wall!

I have only killed one goat. I used a Nosler 150 etip out of my 280 AI. Lots of internal damage. Small entrance, small exit and anchored him. Easy work for the taxidermist. My buddy shot one last year with a 200 gr eld-x. Left a NFL football sized hole on exit. I wouldn't use anything that leaves big holes if you are wanting a full or half body mount. Also if you put an order in for some hammers you will have them in a couple weeks. Current market dictates you should use what you can actually get your hands on🤠

156 Berger or 147 Hornady
I shot a bighorn a couple of years ago with a 6.5 CM and a 147 gr ELD-M at a little over 400 yards. Although the bullet was going a rather anemic 2625 FPS, I knew I was going to get whatever I shot at (that confidence thing means a lot). That particular bullet is pretty splashy and the ram dropped in his tracks. Even though he was on the "flat" spot on the hillside, he still rolled from the blue x until he got caught up in a lone tree at the red x. Had it not been for that tree, he would have likely reached the creek.

Re Hammers - I ordered some late last week and got them across the country early this week.

@BS Shooter has a good point about hide damage. The 147 gr ELD-M didn't exit my ram on a broadside shot - what was left of it was
just under the hide. A whitetail doe I shot with a 181 gr Hammer going 3275 FPS had a lot of internal damage but a small exit hole. I suspect that was the result of the petals shedding in the chest cavity.

D7891D88-B3D8-4D00-813A-1D371963BE14.jpeg