• Lapua

Votes: 37 84.1%
  • Peterson

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • ADG

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lapua and Federal. Federal was the only loaded ammo around for brass feed stock when I bought the first 338 lap and they were only 68.00 a box, that's 3 years ago. Bought 5 boxes. Then Lapua brass showed up briefly ( at 6.75/casing) and I bought another 150. The Federal brass has held up amazingly well. It's saving alot of wear on my Lapua brass!😉

I'm up to 4-5th reload on Lapua, Selliers&Bellot and PPU (probably ~2500 loads altogether)
with no signs of pocket loosening, ... etc

I anneal every time.

Hornady cases on the other hand split on me twice - once at the neck at 2nd firing (!!!)
and once at the shoulder at 3rd firing. Fooled twice, shame on me, that brass is out.

The poll is closed, is okay.
I began to use Norma for my 338 LM. I weighed 100 pieces of brass. The weight difference from top to bottom was a variance less than 5 grains.
Volumes also were very tight.
Stretch after first shot to size them to my chamber, none found yet.
Over-all length, so close trimming was not necessary.
Was very easy to find sweet spot using ladder test.
Even easier when scope dialed in.
BA, the rounds discharged in a small circle when setting up.
I normally catch my brass.
I have not needed to adjust loading data since.
I don't recall the powder I use. At this time I do not have the go get em to walk thru snow to garage where my loading stations are.

Lapua was not available at the time, I purchased Norma. I later purchased the Lapua, 100 pieces. I am waiting for the Norma to show wear and tear before I open the box of Lapua.
I might open it, number each brass, acid pen, and begin data with a weight, primer pocket sizes, and OAL of each.
Sounds like a good thing on a cold and snowy day. Start my garage cast iron up, get comfortable, and start my dope/reloading laptop.
Shoot and hunt well. Have fun. And always safety comes first.

Last edited:
Lapua!
image.jpg

For my 338 LM I have run Lapua, Nosler and tried some Hornady. Nosler lasted 2 firings but I had annealed with torch so there's that. I switched to Lapua brass and bought Amp Mk 2 and haven't looked back. 5th firing on each of my 2 loads and have only lost 2 cases to Aztec cycle on my AMP.