Best 338 Lapua reloading components

SAPPER26

I am getting a custom 338 Lapua built, which will be finished later this year. So in the mean time, I am pooling reloading components. I just purchased 4k federal 215m primers(got the email 10 minutes after Midway recieved a shipment) and some Lapua brass. I've been looking at various dies and any input would be great. Also, I would like a powder that is proven accurate with this round without being too affected by temperature change. I know the magnums have a shorter barrel life and have decided to go with the SMKs. Would the 250s wear the barrel less than the 300s? The barrel will be a 1 in 10" stainless Lilja. I'm not planning to take this round out much past 1500m. Any load info and suggestions would be appreciated.

Forester Bonanza BR dies with micro seater die

I am having very good performance with H1000. I would certainly try that in yours. Find some MRP2 also, that is a go to powder in the Lapua for the ones who know it.

If you are really worried about barrel life, get the barrel melonite coated. Go to BR central or 6mmbr.com and search for the threads on that process and the long barrel life it is giving. http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68653&highlight=melonite+coating

I am fixing to break in a 338-408 and when done, that barrel and a barrel for a 338 Lapua Ack Imp are going to have it done.

BH

Last edited:
Redding Bushing "S"type dies.

CCI 250 primer

H-1000 powder ( start at 89 gr and work up slow)

300 SMK and mine like to be about .060" off the lands.

Jeff

Sapper,

Several folks here have already mentioned the H1000 and it's an excellent choice. I used to use that as a standard accuracy powder for daily QC firing with both the 250 and 300 SMKs. You should be able to get somewhat better velocity and still have first rate accuracy with V-V's newest, N570, if you'd like to give that a try. As far as the bullet weights go, yes the heavier weights will be a bit harder on the barrel than will a lighter one. They'll also usually give you better performance at distance, and that's what you built it for, right? Load it up for performance, and just accept the fact that barrels are temporary pieces that need to be replaced from time to time.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

In my 338 Lapua I shoot 92 grains of H-1000 in Lapua cases lit with Federal 215 M primers under a 300 grain SMK COAL of 3.860" A very accurate load in my rifle

Thanks everyone. This will give me a starting point and I will have a good supply stocked before the rifle makes it home. Are there any other tools for success to create the best hand loads for the 338LM?

Thanks everyone. This will give me a starting point and I will have a good supply stocked before the rifle makes it home. Are there any other tools for success to create the best hand loads for the 338LM?

+1 redding type s dies,my 1-10 lilja loves rl22 and vvn165 with the 250smk.rl25 with the 300's.

Berger has some new 338 bullets out now that will work with a 10:1 twist barrel.
Redding or Wilson dies seem good for me.

This is a little new for this post... But the info is the same!!!!

I am going to start reloading my 338 Lapua, which I do not have yet, built by McWhorter.

ANyway, I need the whole setup!!!!!!! So I am looking into learning more about this and being a competent reloader.... I want to try a few different bullets in my gun and see how they perform.... ANyway, I have NOTHING...... so I will be looking for the WHole enchilada
in other words!!!!

Thanks for your help....
Mario

For my Rem 700 338 Lapua

H1000, Ram Shot Magnum and Reloader 25

Fed 215GM Primer

Hornady Brass

Nosler 250 and 300gr Accubonds

Thinking of getting some of the new Berger Hunting 250/300gr VLD's.

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.