338 gun weights

bretterath

I'm looking at building a elk rifle and planning on a 338 norma or norma improved shooting 300 bergers. The build I'm planning on is a lighter weight gun for the mountains, no an UL gun. Action would be either a TI razor by lone peak or a defiance ul model, game scout stock with edge fill, proof barrel with brake, hinged floor plate. If the gun is build on the Ti action its going to end up at about 6.45lbs and then 2 more for a nightforce scope. Is a 8.5 gun in a 338 norma going to be way to light to be accurate at 1000-1200 yards. Or should i go with the stainless steel defiance to add some more weight. Who has or own a 338 norma for elk hunting what weight to u think is the lightest you would go with a 338 build?

bretterath

Who has or own a 338 norma for elk hunting what weight to u think is the lightest you would go with a 338 build?
338normamagtacmatch_reduced.jpg

This is my .338 Norma Mag. which I hunt with:

12-3/4 lbs all up with 3 cartridges.

I usually use an Eberlestock backpack designed to carry a rifle in a scabbard type setup. I will occasionally use a sling but I prefer the pack. Since I hunt on the desert or on higher mesas, this works well for me. I shoot from the prone position and I prefer to have some weight in the rifle to offset the recoil. Shots range from 300 to nearly 1,000 yards.

Your 8-1/2 lb rifle will beat the ever loving' bejeezus out of you in nearly every position. The lighter rifle in many field positions will not be as accurate as a heavier rifle shot from the prone position or lying across a rock or stump. Normal exertion will get your heart rate up as well as get you breathing harder. Trying to make a proper killing shot at 1,000 yards let alone 1,200 yards requires a steady position and a heavier rifle.

I personally have gotten over all the hype surrounding the 300 grain .338 bullets unless I'm shooting the .338-378 or something similar. The other cartridges lack the necessary capability to resolve the need for velocity to gain the best from the 300's. I use the 250 Match Hunting bullets with great success on the longer shots. Better trajectory and more than enough energy to do the job.

In essence, I don't think you need a Ti action and a carbon fiber barrel with this cartridge. I'd have a lighter rifle maybe but not under 10 lbs.

Regards.

.................I personally have gotten over all the hype surrounding the 300 grain .338 bullets unless I'm shooting the .338-378 or something similar. The other cartridges lack the necessary capability to resolve the need for velocity to gain the best from the 300's. I use the 250 Match Hunting bullets with great success on the longer shots. Better trajectory and more than enough energy to do the job...............

9 lbs is minimum in .338's for me these days.

The 250 grain bullets are the top of what I need from bullet standpoint. The 300 grain bullets do have a legitimate ballistic place in the discussion, but not within my range limits.

I have a factory Remington 700 XCR in 338 RUM and it weighs 7.25 lbs, with the scope and rings it weighs just over 9 pounds.

I added a muzzle brake to track my shots and it's super easy to shoot accurately, I get half MOA with 250 Bergers blows my mind that such a light factory rifle in that caliber shoots so good.

You won't have any problems with a light build if you're shooting 250 grain bullets, cant speak for the 300's though

My 338 RUM weighs 7lbs 14oz without a scope/base/rings. With the current scope I'm running it weighs 9lb 7oz. I have no problem shooting accurately out to 1200 yards.

I think a ~8lb 338 would have some limitations at the ranges the cartridge is capable of. I think my rifle is already limiting the capability of the cartridge, but I have no business shooting that far at an animal so ~9 - 9.5 lbs is perfect for me.

I love the idea of a light rifle. i have one in 300 WSM that is right at 7.75 lbs. scoped.

The downside is I cannot stay rock solid or shoot as accurately at distance as my heavier guns. bipod, with rear bag, on animals especially, coupled with a good steady heart rate/thump, the guns so light i cannot stay rock solid, the reticle bounces all over LOL!

i went heavy with my 338 RUM. 14 lbs. glad i did.

Sounds like an awesome build! i would invest in the fat bastard brake for sure from american precision arms going that light.

That was my next question which muzzle brake to go with? I will have to check out the fat bastard brake

check out the youtube video of the fat bastard being tested without anyone behind the gun. pretty hard to argue how well they work after seeing that video!

its titled fat bastard muzzle brake vs. 338 lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.