338 "Grey Ghost"

Black Diamond 408

I just finished this custom build for a customer in Georgia. He wanted a hot rod caliber for long range elk, bear and buffalo hunts. We decided on the 338 Snipe-Tac (338-408imp) round. He also wanted it to be light for extended foot trips and he required a detachable magazine system.

After many hours of machining and shaving weight where ever posible and replacing std steel parts with Titanium and aluminum. I used a special made
Lone Wolf 100% carbon fiber stock, Pillar bedded and installed a special ultra light butt pad that i make in my shop, 1/4 ounce.

The barrel is a special contour Lawton/ABS carbon fiber wrap...32" with a Titanium muzzle brake. Action is my own design, stainless steel with detach magazine, 5 rounds capable. A jewell trigger finishes off the rifle with a pull of 15 ounces.

The rifle weight ended up at 10# 7 ounces (bare weight)

Here are a few pics
Greyghost_1.JPG

Greyghost_2.JPG

Grey_ghost_3.JPG

Greyghost_4.JPG

Greyghost_5.JPG

Testing and load development will start later this week. I will post the results of the rifle.

Dave

Awesom rifle

My fiance asked what I wanted for christmas next year since by her standards I'm hard to shop for. I'll just forward her the pic and wish for the best......

I am always impressed by the aesthetic quality of the rifles you build as well as the accuracy. At ten lbs that is one impressive rifle.

OK.. I soo have to stop coming to this site.. Unless I win the lotto I'm gonna be drooling @ the comp all the time.. My wife is gonna wonder what I'm looking @.

Very nice rifle..

that sure doesn't look like a rifle you'd throw in the back of the pickup! very nice to say the least. he must have 3 or 400 dollars wrapped up in that thing!

Tyler,

The balistics are exceptional, but this is a large round.
300grn bullets flying around 3350fps. Powder charges
in the 140's.

100yd zero will get you too 1000yds with 16moa comeups,
give or take a little depending on the altitude.

Dave

Desert Fox,

Thanks and,
Yes it did come out real nice, i am re working the magazine to hold only 3 rounds. This will bring the bottom of the mag to level with the trigger guard. It should improve the lines of the rifle. I will post the updated pics soon.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.