338 Excalibur load data

stamp215

Is anyone shooting 338 excalibur's? Trying to find some load data for 300gr bergers. Three of us bought these rifles at sci a few years ago an trying to change loads. Unfortunately the person that built them isn't in Buisness no more.

There is a member that has owned one that might still have some load data that he would share called Autorotate

J E CUSTOM

I have both the Raptor case and the Excallibur /Jamison brass and they are both identical in case capacity .
Quality cartridge brass is about 20 grains less capacity.
What brass are you using? Whats it head stamped ?

I have both the Raptor case and the Excallibur /Jamison brass and they are both identical in case capacity .
I have Jamison brass, stamped 338 EXCAL. The 338 Allen cases must be the bigger one.

Last edited:
What loads are you running out of your's if you don't find me asking?

ammoguide.com has 3 300 grain loads, one for Berger bullet, with 118.o grains of Hodgdon 50 BMG powder. @ 3100 fps.
It's a start anyway!

I have Jamison brass, stamped 338 EXCAL. The 338 Allen cases must be the bigger one.

The Raptor case Bertrum has in stock now is longer than the Excal case but has the exact same case capacity.
Not sure but I think the first ones Kirby got made had more case capacity, then Bertrum changed something ,maybe trying to make it stronger in the case head witch reduced case capacity!!!!!
114 grns of retumbo/2225 ADI Australian powder will get around 3150 with a 30'' barrel.
or 125 grns of 50 bmg /2218 ADI for about the same.
123 grns of 2218 in a 28'' barrel gets 3080 mild load.
112 grns 2225 for the same velocity .
the 2225 is temp sensitive but produces more case pressure so be careful .
I have 2 Excals one 14 lb and one 9.9 lb carry rifle .
I think Reloader 26 or 33 would be worth a try.

The Raptor case Bertrum has in stock now is longer than the Excal case but has the exact same case capacity.
Not sure but I think the first ones Kirby got made had more case capacity, then Bertrum changed something ,maybe trying to make it stronger in the case head witch reduced case capacity!!!!!
114 grns of retumbo/2225 ADI Australian powder will get around 3150 with a 30'' barrel.
or 125 grns of 50 bmg /2218 ADI for about the same.
123 grns of 2218 in a 28'' barrel gets 3080 mild load.
112 grns 2225 for the same velocity .
the 2225 is temp sensitive but produces more case pressure so be careful .
I have 2 Excals one 14 lb and one 9.9 lb carry rifle .
I think Reloader 26 or 33 would be worth a try.
Hey thank you very much, thats a lot of help. Seems like everyone that has one really liked the 50bmg powder but they discontinued that powder. I shoot retumbo an h1000 in my lapua's and thought it might be a little fast for that big of a case. What are you running for OAL?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.