338 Excalibur 300 grn Bergers vrs. 300 grn Rocky Moutain Bullets

• Thread starter Deleted member 8840
  • Start date
I most often let results speek for itself. What I mean by that is, before taking the 338 Lapua apart, on several trips out I shot groups at 300 meters that I'm some what affraid to mention. I sight in at 300 meters with all my long range shooters to begin with. I had three shot groups were two bullets were touching, with the other ruond less than 1/2 inch apart(300 meters 1/2 group). The Excalibur,only shot one group at 1000 so far, shot under 3 inch group. Is it twist, fps, bc, or what ever(with 300 Rocky Mountain and 245 Lehigh with the 338 Lapua)I can live with these results. I will be walking the Excalibur out to 2000 plus soon with Bergers and Rocky Moutain bullets. I'll give results then. Also, I will get a picture of the Rocky Moutain and Berger asap.

I did not change my sight in with the Bergers, just used the RMB sight in. Next time out I will get both sightins and will shoot both from a 300 meter sightin then I will take them out to 1100 meters or 1200 yards(onlt 2 yards differents), This is were I sight in the long range guns, then I can use MOA or Mils. My Vortex is Mils, but I make a drop table in both so if someone else is ranging for me I'll have yards or meters and also, if you sightin this far out your drop table will be more accurate both going out and coming in(my opinion only)

If you're shooting under 3in groups at 1000yds far be it for me to question ANYTHING you are doing or even so much as ask why. Your talking world class 1000yd groups. Kudos to you sir!!!

The reason I ask is because I'm assuming you're trying to shoot the "heavies" as fast or faster than something with a smaller sized case so why give up any FPS loss a 1-9 would yield when a 1-10tw will shoot to those distances and beyond with no loss of accuracy and mostly likely faster.

You won't lose much fps with a 1-9 vs. a 1-10 (25-40 fps MV or so, not sure) and when it comes to a stabilized projectile at distance, selecting proper barrel twist is a tremendously greater part of the equation than fps. Litz says if you want to shoot beyond a mile in 'dense air' with the 300g OTM, go with a faster twist than 1-10.

I am not saying the 10 is a better choice than a 9. But what I can offer is that I have seen the 300 Bergers on more than a few occations shoot into 1 moa at 2000 yards + in good conditions. A few of these times were shooting with Shawn Carlock. This was at 4000' or so. So, I don't think a 10 is giving up much.

Jeff

Just remember, a three shot group is not as hard to shoot as 5 or 10 shot groups. All matches shoot 10 or more. With the cost of shooting the Excalibur being as high as it is, three is good enough for me. As far as twist, I have to shoot what ever Savage makes, if I want to shoot Savage barrels. There is nothing a matter with a 1 in 10.

I am not saying the 10 is a better choice than a 9. But what I can offer is that I have seen the 300 Bergers on more than a few occations shoot into 1 moa at 2000 yards + in good conditions. A few of these times were shooting with Shawn Carlock. This was at 4000' or so. So, I don't think a 10 is giving up much.

Jeff

Gotcha. I'm going off info Litz has put out. Where you at sea level with standard atmospheric conditions? I figured I'd be able to get out to 2K or so at the elevations I hunt at with a 10.

Shawn has shot his 1-10tw 338's out past 2700yds with pretty good success so I think 1-10 is a good choice or atleast good enough for me.

Shawn has shot his 1-10tw 338's out past 2700yds with pretty good success so I think 1-10 is a good choice or atleast good enough for me.

That's good to know. At the elevations I typically hunt/shoot at with a 2976fps MV, I should be able to get out further than I had originally thought with my 10 twist.

Tried both of the A-Square numbers and got a recording on each one. QUOTE]

I've sent an e-mail and a follow-up e-mail to A-Square regarding their 338 Excalibur brass...without response. I also just tried both of their phone numbers (7/19/2012, noon, Pacific)...both lines have "bad number" (operator) recordings.

My tentative conclusion - gone.

I will post on the LRH Reloading forum to see if any more info is available.

I also called Quality Cartridge to confirm that they are continuing to produce 338 Excalbur brass (#573983 - with cartridge ID and Quality Cartridge head stamp)...but my call went into voice mail. I've left a message. Their online price sheet says $91.97/20, plus shipping, all prices subject to change without notice.

Earlier this evening I received a call-back from Quality Cartridge. They confirmed continued production of their 338 Excalibur brass, noting that, while they are out of stock right now, that will cure soon.

Their feeling is also that A-Square is gone.

I was told recently by an employee at the Glenrock WY facility that A-square was closing out the business. My 338 Excalibur rifle was at the Glennrock WY facility and was returned without incident.

I'll have to try the quality cartridges source for brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.