338 Edge

Idaho Trecker

After months of waiting on parts and making my mind up on the specs of my build Shawn Thomason of Diamond T Rifles got this put together in just a couple months. I wasn't as thrilled with this build until I picked it up from shawn yesterday then I remember just why I wanted this rifle and it was love at first sight haha after staying up past midnight sanding the barrel channel out, mounting the scope and cleaning the barrel I was ready to load.

30" brux 1:10 medium palma
5 port muscle brake
Trued Remington 700 action
Timney Calvin Elite
McMillan Gamescout
EGW 20 moa rail
Nf rings
Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56

Again just like the other builds Shawn has done for me this is an awesome rifle!

20160316_161938.jpg

Made it out real quick and put 3 rounds through to start barrel break in today and it was a dream to shoot between the weight and brake very little recoil. I shot 3 rounds of 285 eld m at 100 yards and got under 1". Not bad for first 3 shots and no load development. Got them stoked up to 2950 fps and room to go. This setup isn't overly heavy and comes in about 12.5 pounds.

That rig is sweet certainly should hammer anything you stack in front of it at whatever distance your comfortable with. The look of that game scout stock with 3 color speckle tone has me wanting one. Did you specify what colors and percentages?

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Nice looking rifle have shot anything with the 285? They seemed very soft.

I have not shot any animals with the ELD-M but I did shoot a nice 5-point whitetail 2 years ago with the 285 A-Max out of a 338 RUM and it did awesome. I have been testing the 285 eld-m trying to stop one with water at 900 but only took 2 rounds with me and wasnt able to connect; however, I did recover both bullets out of the dirt and they mushroomed perfect just like all of the 208 AMax I have shot and recovered. I have killed 4 deer from 125 to 570 yards with the 208 A Max so far out of my 300 Dakota. I wont hesitate to use the 285 A-Max or ELD-M for hunting. Luckily I have a good pile of A Max stored and will start getting the eld-m and x series.

That rig is sweet certainly should hammer anything you stack in front of it at whatever distance your comfortable with. The look of that game scout stock with 3 color speckle tone has me wanting one. Did you specify what colors and percentages?

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I did not specify the percentage of colors. This stock was purchased through Redhawkrifles. I really do like it. It took alot of sanding to open up for the medium palma barrel which is the largest contour it will handle. Like usual after I purchased that McMillan came out with a new stock model which has a larger channel and is now available in adjustable comb. I have a Manners also and I definitely prefer the feel of the McMillan in regards to the finish.

It took a couple hours with a dowel and sandpaper but it turned out good. Now McMillan makes the Game Warden model that is already opened up for a larger contour. I believe they are able to open up to a #8 contour.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.