338 Edge Reloading...?'s

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Earnhardt, Aug 18, 2018.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Doublezranch

Doublezranch Well-Known Member

Me :)

raven1776 likes this.
  2. BEEMAN

BEEMAN Well-Known Member

Any advice for a first time Edge user? Just got my gun back from the smith. He thinks my barrel has a tight bore. Wondering where I should start with a 285 ELD and R33 in Norma brass? I’d like as low starting point as possible. Then I’ll slowly work up to pressure.

3. Doublezranch

Doublezranch Well-Known Member

Do you have to turn your necks?

4. BEEMAN

BEEMAN Well-Known Member

That I don’t know. I bought the reamer off a guy on here a number of years ago. Gunsmith had problems using it. The floating pilot/bushing didn’t fit. He bought around 6 more and all were tight. He ended up making one out of copper. If I’d of known the bore was that tight I would of told him not to chamber it. It’s a 29” finish Rock Creek 10 twist. Haven’t done anything with it. Just picked the gun up two days ago. That’s why I’d like a VERY low starting point with R33. Thinking it will hit pressure early.

5. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Might be a tight “neck” reamer. If it won’t chamber a dummy round then you’ll have to turn necks. As for bore diameter it’s anyones guess. Should have been stamped on the barrel slug.

6. BEEMAN

BEEMAN Well-Known Member

If I have to turn necks that’s ok. It’s the tight bore I’m worried about. This barrel was basically scratched with the specs of the barrel. Couldn’t even make out what it said. Never seen that before as all other barrels are stamped liked you said. I called rock creek but got no answers.

7. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Well-Known Member

I've got a 28" Rock Creek 9.4 twist 338 Edge barrel... frickin laser beam!

8. raven1776

raven1776 Active Member

Hey bud, i have trouble with a 338 edge that has a tight neck. My suggestion, take the gun back, get your money back. DO NOT FIRE A 338 THOUGH THAT GUN! A tight neck is one thing. A tight barrel? You cannot go low enough on powder to keep psi down.

9. BEEMAN

BEEMAN Well-Known Member

Raven, that’s exactly my concern. It might be ok; But it may be dangerous as well.