Reloading for the 338 Edge

Willy 1

I have seen posted here that their are 338/300 reloading dies available which are the same as the 338 edge. I have also read were you can use a 338 Ultra sizing die with a tapered sizing button to expand 300 Ultra brass out to 338 then use a 375 Ultra fl sizing die for the sizing. For the sizing part once the brass is expanded could you not use a Redding 300 Ultra bushing style die with the proper bushing in it for what ever diameter your brass has be sized to for your chamber? Just seems easier and less cost to me as I already have the dies in 300 Ultra and 338 Ultra. All I would have to purchase would be the proper bushing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks

the reason you can't is because the intersection of the neck and shoulder are at different places with the 338/300 and the 300.the counterbore holding the bushing is at a depth to let it sit right at this intersection.you can modify the 300 die or just try using the 338 die.

i took Bart B's advise and ordered a FL sizer from Forster with a 362 neck.it's one piece,full length, and i get very straight cases, every time.my neck is 368, loaded rounds are 365. that's why i got a 362 sizer.i am extremely happy with the accuracy this has given me.

Dave Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify a couple of things.The Forster die that you bought is a bushing style die and it is in what caliber 338/300 or 338 Ultra. Some are saying that the 375 Ultra dies would work but are they not the same as the 300 Ultra only with a bigger diameter.
Thanks again for the info.

the forster die that i have is a custom order,one piece die. not a bushing die.it's made for the 338/300.i got one of these because i think you can make more accurate ammo using a one piece as compared to a bushing style die.i haven't measured runout,but i have shot some very good groups with it.at least they're good groups for me.the groups are posted in the equipment reviews, title Bullpup 338/300. i'm convinced that part of my success is due to ammo with very little runout.

Willy, you are correct, the 375,300 and 7 ultra are the same case with a different dia. neck. the problem is, when you use a bushing style die,you can't just use a bushing made for the 338.like i said,the height of the shoulder/neck intersection is different on all three.

Dave what did the Forster FL die run. What is the part number and how long did it take to get?

350, mine ran the 100 yard dash! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif OK, when i ordered it, they said it would cost double what a reg FL die did. i was expecting upper 70's but when i got it they only charged around 50 including the shipping. it doesn't have a part #,although maybe now it does.this is a custom make with a neck ground to a specific size.in my case, i went with .362.i just called and told them what i wanted over the phone.make sure you talk to a production guy and not the secretary that answers the phone. i think it took about 2 months to get it.

350, i got a Wilson blank in 338 and sent it to Chris Matthews who did my metal work. he ran the chamber reamer in the blank so i have an exact copy of my chamber. loads very straight ammo.

i also have a $15 hornady seater that works very well. if the cases are straight,the bullet will probably seat very straight.

Clarification

So I could really use some help since you guys are on it!! I currently have Redding 300 fl sizing die that my gunsmith opened up the neck and then I ordered a .364 bushing for after I measured a few of my loaded necks. I have shot it and it shoots pretty decent considering I havent worked on a load yet. BUT based off of what I have read here the 300 ultra die was not the one that I should have had modified right???

Also I am using a 338 ultra redding seating die and I have to have it cranked way down to reach my correct seating depth. Is that normal?

Thanks!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.