.338 edge+p OR .338 lapua+p for long range elk rifle

Kozump

Just kicking around the idea of building a .338 cal long range elk rifle, ideally I could use an extra Remington ultra mag action I have, then spin on a proof CF barrel 28" or 30", muzzle brake, carbon fiber rifle stock and top it off with a leupold mark 5 or vx-6 scope. I'm not worried about buying brass or dies for either of these cartridges. Just curious on people's experience with either of the rounds and thought of these two options specifically.

If you run on a Remington action, ideally a .338 RUM would be better, where as the Lapua would be better served on an action designed for a lapua based cartridge, due to concerns of lug set back.

In contradiction to this, I built a .338 Norma on a remington action. The side affect is I have to be very careful on my loading to keep them relatively mild, I try to stay at or below CIP rated pressures, though I am only going by educated guess. Thus, I usually don't get the same velocities many other people get that just load up to pressure signs and back off a little. My current load is a 250 at 2877 from a 24" barrel.

Also, pressure signs in Peterson or Lapua .590 bolt face brass usually doesn't appear until you are way over rated pressures, as it is very tough stuff, making it more challenging.

When I burn out this barrel, I will either rechamber to .338 RUM or EDGE, or get a different action to run the Norma. As of now, I don't have any of the noticeable lug set-back issues you sometimes hear about, and have around 500ish rounds through my rifle, but wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a measurable amount when I get it rebarreled.

If you don't mind getting a different action, I personally would go for the Lapua of those two, similar performance, however the Lapua or Peterson .338 Lapua brass is stupid tough, and you have that much more brass around the primer pockets to keep them tight in comparison to the EDGE, similar to running a small rifle primer pocket vs large rifle pocket on say a 6.5 cm, the srp will hold up longer than a lrp pocket, assuming same pressures are being ran. If you don't mind fireforming, a .338 Lapua Improved +P would be awesome as well, extra performance and less trimming. ADG or Peterson brass for the .338 edge would also be super tough though, there really isn't a bad choice in the proper action. Sorry for the novel!

I had a 338 Lap, sold it. Missed it and wanted to build another, but only had a Savage magnum action as a donor. Built a 338 Edge instead. To me, they are ballistic twins. I am not planning on going back to the Lap, but will keep it as an Edge when my barrel is toast.
Since your RUM action is based on the 404 Jeff with ~ .535 bolt face, I'd build an Edge.
Edit to add:
CF barrel will save you a few oz. However, with a CF stock, it's easy to get a front heavy rifle if you don't pay attention to your weight distribution. Love my Edge with it's light varmint barrel, but hate carrying it.

Bought a used 338 Edge off of this forum, was originally owned by Rum Man. When I got it, sent it to Defensive Edge to have +P work done, so I didn't shoot it as an original Edge. Still not completely done with load development, but 95.5 grains of H1000 is getting 252 grain Cutting Edge bullet out of the muzzle at 3050fps. No pressure signs and extremely accurate. Still want to work on N570 with the 300 grain Berger. This one has a 30" Proof barrel. I am very happy with it. With the Proof barrel, Remington action, McMillan stock, Nightforce NXS scope, it weighs around 10.5 pounds which is doable for even a lot of hiking.

Just kicking around the idea of building a .338 cal long range elk rifle, ideally I could use an extra Remington ultra mag action I have, then spin on a proof CF barrel 28" or 30", muzzle brake, carbon fiber rifle stock and top it off with a leupold mark 5 or vx-6 scope. I'm not worried about buying brass or dies for either of these cartridges. Just curious on people's experience with either of the rounds and thought of these two options specifically.
If you wanted you could buy a Weatherby 338-378, I have had four and they will shoot as good as the best custom I have ever had. They are equipped with Kreiger barrels and the Weatherby receiver which is the strongest built. I was at the range with a man who said he wouldn't own a Weatherby but after three Weatherby's tallied higher than his "beat all to end all" and two were in the money he shut up. There were 6 in total Weatherby's at the shoot and all were either straight out of the box or from the Weatherby custom shop. I cannot see building a rifle now when I can go buy one for what the parts will cost me and then I would spend three or four days at the bench spining, aligning, reaming, threading and seating plus cutting the furniture. I can save some money and time and then add that on the glass. I cannot think of a reason not to try one before going to a smith instead of putting 10 in a rifle put 7. I have built rifles for years and can't get close to these for the money. The 338-378 is in the caliber and power range you talk about and it is a proven caliber, try one I think you will like it. You will see a great difference when you get your recipe correct and you can shoot easy 1/2's. Happy shooting.

Bought a used 338 Edge off of this forum, was originally owned by Rum Man. When I got it, sent it to Defensive Edge to have +P work done, so I didn't shoot it as an original Edge. Still not completely done with load development, but 95.5 grains of H1000 is getting 252 grain Cutting Edge bullet out of the muzzle at 3050fps. No pressure signs and extremely accurate. Still want to work on N570 with the 300 grain Berger. This one has a 30" Proof barrel. I am very happy with it. With the Proof barrel, Remington action, McMillan stock, Nightforce NXS scope, it weighs around 10.5 pounds which is doable for even a lot of hiking.
How is it for recoil? Is it manageable? We are in the process of building the same setup except we are running a vortex razor and Area 419 break and planning on trying both 300 gr Berger or cutting edge 275 lazer. Planning on N570 powder but gun will have to dictate that.

Yes, recoil very manageable. It has a Terminator T3 5 slot brake on it. Which also does add some length. gun overall length is 53". It was difficult finding a hard case long enough for it. Just used it this spring on a Montana bear hunt, averaged 6 mile hike every day, but didn't have a lot of weight in backpack either since we weren't out overnight. It was very doable. Just didn't get to see how it performed on game, wasn't lucky enough to punch tag.

Another suggestion would be a 338 RBH (338 NM improved). It can match 338 edge velocity with a 26 in barrel and the 300 berger. I have a 24 inch barrel on mine and use the 260 Hammer bullet at 3042 fps. 3 animals taken with it last season. 2 elk (850&450 yards). 1 mule deer at 465 yards.
I had a Edge for a number of years. 30 inch barreled rig. That was a PIA to pack. This present rig is so much easier to pack and shoot.
93885370-82AD-46F7-8616-F5F7B34B5EF6.jpeg
1B1BB9C0-98E3-43D0-9DD8-457A5C5379FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, recoil very manageable. It has a Terminator T3 5 slot brake on it. Which also does add some length. gun overall length is 53". It was difficult finding a hard case long enough for it. Just used it this spring on a Montana bear hunt, averaged 6 mile hike every day, but didn't have a lot of weight in backpack either since we weren't out overnight. It was very doable. Just didn't get to see how it performed on game, wasn't lucky enough to punch tag.
Ok thanks. We are building one on a carbon as well. We are going to test the cutting edge versus Berger 300 gr. Have see if it shoots accurate or see if weight of Berger shooting slower exceeds the 275 with less wind drift and see if Berger in general starts to take over a 275 and longer distances.

As others have said, based on the bolt face an Edge is the way to go.
I personally carry a 338 LAI with a 24 in proof. I also shoot the 252 MTH. I get 3000 fps with my 24 in barrel. Rifle weight 11 pds. with bipod and is an honest .5MOA gun with incredible ES's.

Attachments

• elk2020mehorns.jpg
    elk2020mehorns.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 167
  • 20210629_083403.jpg
    20210629_083403.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 144
As far as recoil, here is a video demonstrating the recoil of a 9.5 lb .338 Norma shooting 270 bullets at 2830 fps (24" barrel). This was before I installed a heavier spring in the bottom metal, the initial recoil generated before the MBM Beast TI 5 port took affect was enough to open it. It now has an arca rail and is shot from a tripod, I see impacts at around 200 yards, and watch my trace from around 300 yards.

If you run on a Remington action, ideally a .338 RUM would be better, where as the Lapua would be better served on an action designed for a lapua based cartridge, due to concerns of lug set back.

In contradiction to this, I built a .338 Norma on a remington action. The side affect is I have to be very careful on my loading to keep them relatively mild, I try to stay at or below CIP rated pressures, though I am only going by educated guess. Thus, I usually don't get the same velocities many other people get that just load up to pressure signs and back off a little. My current load is a 250 at 2877 from a 24" barrel.

Also, pressure signs in Peterson or Lapua .590 bolt face brass usually doesn't appear until you are way over rated pressures, as it is very tough stuff, making it more challenging.

When I burn out this barrel, I will either rechamber to .338 RUM or EDGE, or get a different action to run the Norma. As of now, I don't have any of the noticeable lug set-back issues you sometimes hear about, and have around 500ish rounds through my rifle, but wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a measurable amount when I get it rebarreled.

If you don't mind getting a different action, I personally would go for the Lapua of those two, similar performance, however the Lapua or Peterson .338 Lapua brass is stupid tough, and you have that much more brass around the primer pockets to keep them tight in comparison to the EDGE, similar to running a small rifle primer pocket vs large rifle pocket on say a 6.5 cm, the srp will hold up longer than a lrp pocket, assuming same pressures are being ran. If you don't mind fireforming, a .338 Lapua Improved +P would be awesome as well, extra performance and less trimming. ADG or Peterson brass for the .338 edge would also be super tough though, there really isn't a bad choice in the proper action. Sorry for the novel!
I'm a bit confused as to why you don't like the Remington action with the >338 Norma? Please explain. Thanks.

Had you Considered .340 Weatherby - straight style stock - or do you already have everything except caliber Choice ? I have 26" on a 700 & shooting 215 TTSX @3200 - carry it all day (even @ my age) - in the foothills & Cdn. Rockies 👍👍
wouldn't want to do that with my 338 Ultra Rogue 🤦‍♂️😉{difference between 9# & 15# 338's}

Recent Posts