338 edge once fired primer pockets loose

D.ID

my 338 has bean shooting like a house on fire with no pressure signs until now. Having fired my initial 200 pieces of virgin brass, I just started reloading them and found about 35% have loose pockets after a single firing. I am going to reduce the load from 92 to 89.5...................That being said......new brass has a .205 inside diameter pocket, cci250 primers are .210-.211 all but one of my loose brass is .208-.209 and all the rest of the brass is .207ish...........Is there a technical limit? (how loose is to loose) The only piece that will drop a primer is .211 and already in the trash. Feel doesn't help me. Any one know at what measurement I should draw the line? or what would be normal in this round? Thanks, Duke

I was getting 2845 out of a 24" using remington brass and 300 smk. Correction: 2812 with 300SMK and 2845 with the bergers.

Last edited:
2850fps in a 24" barrel might be some of your trouble most of the guys are shooting 30 inch barrels to get 2850fps.
Remington brass can be a little soft sometimes try using nosler 300 RUM necked up to 338?

Yep I have had many discussions regarding the unusual speed. I will back it off. I have heard the nosler is even softer. Is it better? More durable?

I like working a load with a set of 20. Then work them and see what they do, like pressure, sizing changes, case growth, etc and then I have a good idea on brass. Plus I dont load that many because if might want to try the ''NEW'' great bullet or powder.

Yes I recently learned if you buy powder in 8 pound kegs and bullets in boxes of 500 and brass hundreds at a time, 250smk-300smk-bergers.......suddenly you shoot allot. From now on I will load a small batch till they where out before I risk damaging a large batch. Still looking for primer pocket acceptable limits and nosler vs rem brass. Thanks, Duke

I have seen a few 300-338 rums with do this with rem brass on one or two firings. They were not getting 2850 from 28" and 30" tubes. You may have to back her down.

Jeff

Definitely backing down, Probably to 89.5 which gave one hole groups ,single digit ES and still 2730ish (more than enough for what I need) and still more than I originally hoped for from this barrel. Will probably try some nosler brass also but want to save as much of the rem brass as is practical.

Back when I was abusing my 30-378 and brass was hard to find, I would use anything that would hold the primer in. If I was worried about a few falling out I glued them in with a coat of clear nail polish to get by. This never gave me any problems.

Jeff

I was considering that as one option. I was hoping someone would chime in with experience. So far only one piece will drop it (trashed that one) but those others I figure are on the fence and nail polish may be cheap insurance. Thanks again, Duke

Your buying your componenets like my bench friends said you should. I just dont have enough fun tickets lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.