Loose Primer pockets 338 RUM

D.Camilleri

This is most likely a dumb question that I already know the answer to, but here goes. I have been loading new Federal Nickle primed Brass for my 338 RUM. I have been loading 97 grains of RL 25 with a 225 accubond and getting 3300 fps. I know the load is a little hot, as a get a little bit of an extractor shine, but not severe. The problem is that after only one firing on this brass, some of the primer pockets are loose. The obvious answer is to reduce the powder charge, but how much? This load shoots awesome and is an instant lights out with everything I have shot. At the time that I bought this brass, there was quite a bit on gun broker, but now I can't find it anywhere. To the best of my knowledge Federal is the only company offering nickle brass. Does anyone know if the Federal brass is softer than the Remmy brass? I have loaded up some tipped tripple shocks with the same powder charge in some new remmy brass and will head to the range this afternoon to evaluate the performance.

Well, after neck sizing my once fired brass, the load is hotter. I think I will err on the side of caution and drop my powder charge 2 grains and try again. The barnes tipped tripple shocks are showing promise also, producing 3245 in front of 97 grs of rl 25 and a .5 moa group. I think I will pull all my bullets and try 95 grs.

I'm thinking that Federal brass will be similar to Nosler brass which is 'soft in the head' allowing primer pocket expansion with what would be normal pressures in Win or Rem brass.

I never did think much of the nickle coated brass. Seemed to begin to peel off after awhile and made turned necks look not so nice.

In my old age I'm thinkin' that you're on the right track by backing off a couple of grains.

I shoot only 300 grain bullets in mine and don't have much experience with the lighter bullets.

The important thing is to keep your accuracy. About anything you hit with that bullet starting near that velocity is a good as in the freezer.

I've been using Remington brass and I lose the primer pockets if I go over 94 gr RL25 with the 225 gr TTSX. When I first got the gun I got excellent results with max loads of RL25

RL25-975.jpg

RL25-98.jpg

I dropped down to 96 gr but still had loose pockets so now I am loading at 94 gr and getting 3080 fps, which is just fine with me.

I think my problem is because I had the gunsmith short throat the chamber so the smaller combustion chamber meant I had to use less powder.

I think the Remington brass is soft also. There were no other pressure signs other than the pockets. No shiny spots, no hard bolt lift and no flattened primers.

I am achieving slightly higher than average velocities out of my new broughton barrel, but I think I will start backing off a little and see what the accuracy does when drop back down to around 3150 My casings that we just neck sized are showing a bit more pressure than the new cases. I need to change my mentality and quit looking a velocity and just concentrate on accuracy, it is kind of like being a horsepower junky. I don't like punching targets, I just like putting trophies on the ground and this gun has been like thor's hammer. My little gun is my 300 rum

It's interesting to see i'm not the only one having this problem, I'm also shooting a .338 RUM, 300SMK FED 215M, 86grns IMR-7828, 5-shot average velocity 2812. No sticky bolt lift, no ejector mark but losing primer pockets after 2 loading; kinda disappointing with 1/2 moa & Edge Velocity!
Going to work loads with Retumbo next-

I settled on 94 grns of rl 25 and got what I was after 1/2 moa and 3150-3170

It must have worked, dead mule deer in western wyoming and recovered a 225 accubond that looks great, now just have to weigh it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.