Loose primer pockets after 1st firing?

texan79

Loaded 73gr H1000, Fed 215M in Winchester brass, and capped it with a 168 VLD. (7mm Rem mag)

I uniformed the primer pockets with the RCBS tool, and reprimed tonight, and they went in like butter.

Is this going to pose a problem with the same load? I didn't get any big tell tale pressure signs last round (flat primers, cracked necks, ejector marks) so what do yall think? I would think that I should get more than 1 firing before this brass is junk?

I have experienced the same thing with recent lots of Winchester 25-06 brass. I think Winchester quality is going to **** with newer brass, way too soft.

have had problems with Win. 22-250 and 25-06 brass recently. In bag of 100 22-250, 7 pcs. were un usable, 4 had to be "messed with" to run into the die. The 25-06 brass had 5 pcs un usable, and 2 of those had NO primer pocket , and one had a primer pocket you could seat a semi in! Sorry, but a 5% to 7% rejection rate would RUIN my business !

Loaded 73gr H1000, Fed 215M in Winchester brass, and capped it with a 168 VLD. (7mm Rem mag)

I uniformed the primer pockets with the RCBS tool, and reprimed tonight, and they went in like butter.

Is this going to pose a problem with the same load? I didn't get any big tell tale pressure signs last round (flat primers, cracked necks, ejector marks) so what do yall think? I would think that I should get more than 1 firing before this brass is junk?

a few years back I picked up 1000 rounds of Blackhills .223 (their best stuff), and after firing the stuff onetime 40% of the primer pockets were loose! I also found that some of the necks had slightly less than .010" neck wall thickness. I now have joined into the the society of "I don't buy Blackhills anything!"
gary

Complaining that the primer pockets got loose is to me like complaining that nails bend.

I load to the threshold of loose primer pockets, and then back off a safety margin.

The threshold of loose primer pockets sets the rules I work with.

While I too get some loose pockets with win brass, it won't be every piece. 73 grains of H1000 is a mighty stiff charge in a 7mag. 71 is what I found to be max in my rifle with a wlr primer. Berger has 69.5 as max which is conservative. If your primer pockets were tight to begin with and are loose now you got excess pressure stretching things out. You are 3.5 grains over book so you know you gotta be more than a little warm. Nice thing about the bergers is because of the high bc you don't have to drive them so fast to reach way out there. I'd find another accuracy node with less powder imo.

I went to the range yesterday and fired, among many other things, 16 rounds of 7mRM 180 gr VLD 70 gr Re22, hunting moly 3.48" in (3) different 7mRM rifles. It does 3050 fps on average with the 26" barrels.

This would be 9, 10, or 11 grains over book load, depending on what book you look at.

I just de capped and re primed all the cases.
15 were WW and took lots of force to seat the new primer.
One was RP and the primer went in too easy, so I pitched it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.