Primer pockets loose after first firing?? Quickload data please?

dodgefreak8

well my experience has been great with my new 300rum until I went to reload today... Almost every primer pocket is scary loose. This was new Remington brass and I decreased my load so I wasn't showing extractor marks. Primers are sorta flat but I have no heavy bolt lift. This sucks considering how hard it was to get my hands on the brass. I was wondering if someone could run some quickload data for me and see where my pressure might be?

I am loading:
230gr berger OTM Hybrids
RL33 powder 100gr
federal 215M primers
30" barrel
COAL is 3.825"

Thank you in advance!

I'm interested also. I have been shooting 97g RL 33 and a 230 otm with a longer coal.

max pressure on quickload for 300 rum is 64,977 with 100gr of rl 33 pressure is 69,219. I would start at 93gr and work up again. I stay 7 or 8000 psi under max and it keeps me safe. Em Bork

also this is if the bullet has to jump to the lands. if there touching the lands add another 3000 psi to results.

I'm 10thou off the lands. Is that with the bullet at the factory seating depth? I've seen numerous people with this combo loading up to 103grs with minimal pressure problems. Thanks

well my experience has been great with my new 300rum until I went to reload today... Almost every primer pocket is scary loose. This was new Remington brass and I decreased my load so I wasn't showing extractor marks. Primers are sorta flat but I have no heavy bolt lift. This sucks considering how hard it was to get my hands on the brass. I was wondering if someone could run some quickload data for me and see where my pressure might be?

I am loading:
230gr berger OTM Hybrids
RL33 powder 100gr
federal 215M primers
30" barrel
COAL is 3.825"

Thank you in advance!

dodgefreak
What embork posted above is good to go. It seems to me with out checking if the bullet is touching (no jump) you need to punch in another 5000psi. Here is a screen shot of Quickload with your numbers that would certinally explain the loose primer pockets

form.JPG

I've checked with my hornady gauge I am .010 off the lands so no problem there. I guess I'll have to load down a little and see what happens. It's crazy that I have no other pressure indicators. thanks guys

also this is if the bullet has to jump to the lands. if there touching the lands add another 3000 psi to results.
This is not always true. They did a bunch of testing with strain gauges on the chambers and putting the bullet in the lands didn't raise pressures as much as people thought. Sometimes bullets that were jumped a substantial amount had more chamber pressure then ones in the rifling. Because of less capacity in the case. I can't remember what the article was called but I bet I bet if you search the internet for pressure and seating bullets in you can find it. Matt

Matt, your statement might be valid, but depends a lot on cartridge design and burn rate, generally slow powder in a big case will show pressures in a jammed state. Because the bullet starts with resistance the slow powder has a chance to "take-off" before the bullet gets some forward movement.

OP going off others data is almost unreliable, reamer dimensions, free-bore, reloading scale calibration, the barrels land and groove configurations and percentages all have something to do with pressures and velocity potential. You never listed the speeds you were getting with your load which often times will be the first indicator of a too hot load, before you get the opportunity to find out your hulls won't hold primers any longer.

I have two different lots of RL33 I've been useing in a 7STW, 300 RUM and 338 Lapua. There is a huge difference between the lots. I had to reduce my STW load by 2.3 grains to get the bolt to open from the same charge in a previous lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.