Loose primer pockets

codym

good morning. This maybe a dumb question, but when do you call it on a piece of brass for loose primer pocket? Is it when you see any play when the primer is in the pocket, looseness after firing? I'm on my 6th load on some Norma 300 win mag brass. I've annealed and loaded them pretty conservatively, just wanting to keep an eye on the primer pockets. Some of the primers went in pretty easily but I couldn't see any movement at all once seated, or after fired but I think I'm getting close on this batch. Thanks!

if you wish to tighten up your pockets here it is. find a center punch that fits nicely into your case neck and reaches the flash hole with a couple of inches to spare, file or grind the point flat. get yourself a vice and a 3/4 to 1" diameter ball berring. my vice has 3 notches in the jaws (2 that are opposed and 1 stand alone), almost close the vice so that the berring sits between the 2 opposed notches place the pocket your deprimed brass on the berring insert the punch and wack the punch with a hammer. That is how I tighten pockets

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.