338 edge load / velocity question

BlackSS

Hello,
I started load development for new 338 edge today. 29" Hart barrel, Remington 700 platform.

I'm using CCI 250 primers and H1000 with Norma brass, 300 gr Berger.

I started at 85 grains and worked my way up 1 grain at a time to 91 grains while doing a quick barrel break in recommended by smith that put rifle together.

Only shot a couple groups, a couple with vertical spread of .3 moa. More groups next time, but looks promising.

Anyway, I stopped today at 91 grains which got me 2800 fps. No extractor marks, no sticky bolt, no cratering and very minimal flattening of primers. But honestly, the primers were a little flat at 85 grains. So, I would say no pressure signs compared to a very mild load.

Does 2800 fps sound like a max load for 300 gr pills and 29" barrel? Not too concerned with velocity, but thought I might get another 50-75 fps. Seemed like 91 grains is between nodes. Wondering if another grain or two might get me to the next one.

I have heard of people running g 92-93 grains of H100, but I believe that today's H1000 is a little hotter than it used to be.

Any input?

Hello,
I started load development for new 338 edge today. 29" Hart barrel, Remington 700 platform.

I started at 85 grains and worked my way up 1 grain at a time to 91 grains while doing a quick barrel break in recommended by smith that put rifle together.

Only shot a couple groups, a couple with vertical spread of .3 moa. More groups next time, but looks promising.

Anyway, I stopped today at 91 grains which got me 2800 fps. No extractor marks, no sticky bolt, no cratering and very minimal flattening of primers. But honestly, the primers were a little flat at 85 grains. So, I would say no pressure signs compared to a very mild load.

Does 2800 fps sound like a max load for 300 gr pills and 29" barrel? Not too concerned with velocity, but thought I might get another 50-75 fps. Seemed like 91 grains is between nodes. Wondering if another grain or two might get me to the next one.

I have heard of people running g 92-93 grains of H100, but I believe that today's H1000 is a little hotter than it used to be.

Any input?
I always like to go until I get pressure signs(flat, cratered, ejector) so I know where it is then back off, 93.5 gave me all these and the closest node ended up at 91.5, very close to you but a 30" tube 9 twist.
Your barrel may speed up a little bit usually 50ish fps after 40-80 rounds. After your brass is fireformed your speed may come up a little with the same load also. I can go near 3000fps with Reloder 33, never tried Retumbo.
You need to test this gun at long range, I mean LONG....in one ladder test a 5 grain spread over 5 shots had less than 3" of vertical at 650 yards.

300 Berger OTM
OAL – 3.920"
Brass – Bertram
Primer – CCI 250
Powder – H1000
Charge – 91.5 grains
Average Velocity – 2860 fps

Switched to non lead now
275 CEB Lazer
103.0 grains Reloder 33
CCI 250 3018 fps
0.015" off (don't remember the length off hand)

PS; I found Reloder 33 to be stable until about the mid ~84F the it starts to really gain after that, similar to Reloder 26

Last edited:
Thank you. I feel pretty good that I have not seen any pressure signs and velocity seems a bit low. Probably have room to push a little more. It was high 90's today, doesn't get much hotter than that.

Next time I take it out to the range I will do some load testing at 600.

2800 sounds about right for H1000, somewhere between 2750-2850. I got 100 fps more velocity with 10-ish more grains of RL33.

I always like to go until I get pressure signs(flat, cratered, ejector) so I know where it is then back off, 93.5 gave me all these and the closest node ended up at 91.5, very close to you but a 30" tube 9 twist.
Your barrel may speed up a little bit usually 50ish fps after 40-80 rounds. After your brass is fireformed your speed may come up a little with the same load also. I can go near 3000fps with Reloder 33, never tried Retumbo.
You need to test this gun at long range, I mean LONG....in one ladder test a 5 grain spread over 5 shots had less than 3" of vertical at 650 yards.

300 Berger OTM
OAL – 3.920"
Brass – Bertram
Primer – CCI 250
Powder – H1000
Charge – 91.5 grains
Average Velocity – 2860 fps

Switched to non lead now
275 CEB Lazer
103.0 grains Reloder 33
CCI 250 3018 fps
0.015" off (don't remember the length off hand)

PS; I found Reloder 33 to be stable until about the mid ~84F the it starts to really gain after that, similar to Reloder 26
Question..Was you Edge, long throat chambered? I cannot come anywhere close to those numbers for OAL. My max length is 3.277" (by the print.)

BB401,
That sounds awfully short, considering the factory OAL on the shorter .338 RUM is 3.6".
My Edge ran best @ 3.84". That was close to the lands with 300 grain Matchkings, and was not what I'd consider "long throated". I believe my .338 RUM is running closer to 3.7" so it will feed from the mag.

BB401,
That sounds awfully short, considering the factory OAL on the shorter .338 RUM is 3.6".
My Edge ran best @ 3.84". That was close to the lands with 300 grain Matchkings, and was not what I'd consider "long throated". I believe my .338 RUM is running closer to 3.7" so it will feed from the mag.
Yeah, I know it's short. I just do know by how much, exactly. I've been arguing with PT&G since it was built but they say it's STANDARD SPEC. So I'm trying to find someone who KNOWS that their chamber specs are different than mine AND what they are. That way I can get mine fixed.

My edge was Chambers's about .1" long. With 300 gr Berger coal touching rifling is 3.92"

I did some ladder testing at 600. Went up to 92 grainsand saw max velocity of 2850 with slight extractor mark.

89-92 grains ladder at 600 yards had less than 4" of vertical spread and some of that is definitely me. Will shoot some groups next and see what I can get.

Yeah, I know it's short. I just do know by how much, exactly. I've been arguing with PT&G since it was built but they say it's STANDARD SPEC. So I'm trying to find someone who KNOWS that their chamber specs are different than mine AND what they are. That way I can get mine fixed.

I think you are off somewhere, when I say short I mean that case will not even hold that bullet at that length! The bullet's bearing surface will be set all the way into the case. If you are looking at the reamer print then that may be where the throats ends and lands begins, not the Over All Cartridge Length with a loaded bullet.
I'll load a bullet into a .338 Edge case at that length a post a picture to show you.

I think you are off somewhere, when I say short I mean that case will not even hold that bullet at that length! The bullet's bearing surface will be set all the way into the case. If you are looking at the reamer print then that may be where the throats ends and lands begins, not the Over All Cartridge Length with a loaded bullet.
I'll load a bullet into a .338 Edge case at that length a post a picture to show you.
Here ya go: 338 Edge with 300 grain Berger @ 3.277"

Attachments

• IMG_6184.JPG
    IMG_6184.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 328
Hello,

Any input?

I like RE33, it has gotten me well over the 2900fps mark, you can fill the case up and use it all.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.