338 edge H1000 load question, Bertram brass

Huntsmart338

So, i'm shooting 89.5 grains of h1000, and just noticed some pressure signs, slight ejector mark, and slight primer bulge. I'm going down another 1/2 grain, to 89. Hope this will solve it, seems odd that others are shooting 90 grns with no signs...Any ideas why? And how many fps would you guess, ( oviously I'll shoot it to see when I can) I will loose dropping another 1/2 grain?

So, i'm shooting 89.5 grains of h1000, and just noticed some pressure signs, slight ejector mark, and slight primer bulge. I'm going down another 1/2 grain, to 89. Hope this will solve it, seems odd that others are shooting 90 grns with no signs...Any ideas why? And how many fps would you guess, ( oviously I'll shoot it to see when I can) I will loose dropping another 1/2 grain?

If you drop to the same pressure you had before, you won't have a velocity loss. Is your brass fire formed or virgin? How far from the lands are you seating?

I have no experience with the .338 edge but I can say that every Chamber is different, every manufactures brass is different, throating and bullet seating depth will effect pressure, there are a lot of possible reasons. You just have to find what "your" rifle likes!
It's possible that you could use less powder than the next guy and still have the velocity that he is getting!

I just had a 270wsm built and the first round that I fired through it was some Factory Winchester 150 partitions and I was getting considerable ejector marks on the cases!

Your Bertram brass may be thicker than what others are using?

I'm 5 thou of the lands- Twice fired brass brass. Iv'e heard bertram will show a lil more pressure- It's not alot, but an ejector wipe, I'm guessing a 1/2 grn will fix it, just wondered if anyone else has experienced this before I got the the woods to find out for sure-

I've had the same issue with my rifle. Upon reading about the H1000 powder I found out that the newer lots of powder are burning a bit hotter then the previous lots. I'm not sure if it was Hodgdon or just another reader that said not to start with your previous loads. You'll have to back off the powder a full grain and work your way back up.

My Edge load is 86.0 of Retumbo. 86.5 is too much for my barrel. I've shot H1000, Remington,Nosler and Bertram brass, CCI and Fed primers. Varied depths too. Turned necks and double-checked all measurements a kazillion times.

Sometimes ya just have to accept that your barrel just won't take that much powder.

Only took 430 rounds for me to accept that.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.