New 338 Edge Brass Questions

Jim Bradbury

I am having a 338 Edge built for me. In the spirit of wanting to be ready once the rifle is finished. I purchased 50 pieces of ADG 338 edge Brass and 20 pieces of Bertram 338 Edge brass, not knowing if I would prefer one over the other. I was admiring my purchases after they were delivered. That is when I noticed that the angles on the shoulders are not the same when compared to each other, Bertram to ADG. After my initial panic, I realized that once I fire them they will fire form to my chambering. Knowing that the gunsmith will use the same reamer for my rifle that he used for my hunting partners rifle was in my gun safe(Long Story). I got his rifle and chambered a few of the brass. They did chamber but were extremely stiff and hard to close the action on some of them. One of them I did get the action closed but had to pound on the bolt with the palm of my hand to get it opened again. Any ideas? I could certainly use the help.

Thank you,

Jim

All good advise, I am having the same gunsmith build my rifle that built my hunting partners rifle. I did talk to the gunsmith last Saturday and he did say that he will be using the same reamer on my rifle that he used on my hunting partners rifle. I do realize that even with him using the same reamer there can/will be slight differences. Even though I have been reloading for my 338 Win Mag for a few years. I have a lot to learn about reloading metallic cartridges. The last ten years or so, I have been reloading 8 -10 thousand 12 gauge shells per year (I am a trap shooter but am starting to loose interest in trap shooting) and am confident when reloading shot shells. However, I know I have a lot to learn when it comes to reloading for my rifles. Thanks for the advise, I can see that I need to purchase some more reloading tools.

Jim B.

Same problem with brass in my 375 RUM even after shooting, full length sizing made the brass difficult to get into the chamber. Worked just fine with neck sizing only. I use Norma 300RUM brass necked up to 375, also do the same for the 338 edge and a 416/300 but only the 375 gave me chambering problems. 300 RUM brass is a great parent case for the big ones: 338, 375 and 416, all full length brass.

If your die isn't screwed down enough, full length resizing will make your brass longer. You need gauges to check shoulder bump.

@Rhovee is correct, FL sizing and not bumping shoulder can actually cause the shoulder to come forward 1-2 thou. I do this on my improved chambers to try get a bit more crush fit when forming. If you don't have a 420 id bump gauge, I suggest to get one for checking shoulder prior and after sizing.

I've owned both ADG & Bertram in the Edge. While the Bertram may be good brass it's weight was really bad. Varied as much as 8 grains in 100 pieces.

ADG will be much better ( maybe 3 grains) in 100 pieces.
The shoulders (datum line) on the ADG are really long. It is not unusual that they would be tight in the chamber before they're sized.

The advice u have gotten above is correct.
Wait until u get ur rifle. If the brass is snug, push the shoulder back a couple thousandths.
After u have fired it in ur chamber u can measure it and bump the shoulders back one ore two thousandths for the proper fit.

The ADG brass is very consistent from base to datum line. It is fairly decent in weight. The biggest gripe I have with it is the neck thickness. All i have ever had has a thick side.
I recommend neck turning it.
Hope this is helpful.

I have a 338 Edge and shoot ADG brass. If i were you, i would measure 10 pieces of ADG brass and send the longest one to datum line to gun smith. Have him cut the chamber to that. Best for case life, and the difference between virgin and fired brass won't be an issue. I would ask what the neck clearance is on reamer. .365 is loaded round with ADG. You will want a .369-.370 neck on reamer print. If it's to tight, you will have issue's that can't be avoided unless you neck turn, or possibly use 300 RUM brass necked up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.