338 edge/Bertrom Brass issue

4xforfun

A couple of years ago I had an EDGE BBL chambered up for my Rem 700 hunting gun. I started with Rem brass as that is all that was available. Shortly after I started my load development the Bertrom Edge brass became available. Since I had already found a load of H1000 that worked great, my plan was to wait till the "horrable" Rem brass went south and start fresh with new brass and RL33. Well, I just loaded the Rem brass for the 7th time and decided that the pockets, although they still hold primers faiirly well, were loose enough.

When I got my Bertrom brass a couple of years ago I actully got 101 cases, so I loaded one up with my current load of 91 gr H1000 and fired it. I don't remember if I had any issues at the time.

Today I grab the new brass. I remember that when I got it I ran it through the FL die. I took my bolt apart and cycled the one once fired and sized piece..perfect fit. I tried the new brass and had to stand on the bolt to close it and about the same effort to eject. I ran 4 or 5 through...same thing.

I grabbed my Calipers and my Hornady Head space gauge and set out to do some measuring. Head space was IDENTICLE to the once fired and sized case when measured on three different datum points (.375, .400, .420). I measured case diamater at a couple of points and the new brass was actually smaller by a couple of thou. I measuresd the rim....same. Case OAL the new brass was shorter by a couple of thou. Neck diameter was a couple smaller on the new!!! Every measurement I took would suggest that the new brass should fit as good or better than the once fired and sized piece. I see no shiny spots on any of the brass that I chambered up.

I am now out of ideas. I remember having to run new brass through the die on another Edge to fit right, which worked, but not on this gun. Both guns were chambered with the same reamer (mine).

Also, I just ran some fired cases and some fired/sized cases from my friends gun. It all chambers smooth as silk.

Anyone have any Ideas????

Thanks,
Tod

Update...I posted this over at accurat shooter also.....here is where I am at.

Ok, on Dusty's advice I started to do some testing with my FL die (Redding "S") that came from Defensive Edge.

I measured the head space on un-fired case with the .420 tool and set that number to zero. I grabbed the shops feeler gauge and slid the .0025 under the case and ran it through the die. Head space INCREASED BY .0020!! I grabbed another case and the .004 gauge......head space stayed long by .002. Went all the way up to the .007 gauge. Brass now fits in gun , but the head space still shows .001 LONGER than before it went into the die!! I tried the .375 tool....same thing!! I bumped SOMETHING back .007, but I don't know what it was.

I got to have a die problem! The die had been set for the old lot of REM brass, locked up, and NEVER adjusted. I got 7 firings on the Rem brass with no case streach and only PP issues. I had a 300 wby that acted the same way....the dies double radius did not match the chamber's and I had an awfull time with that tube/die combo.

Any thoughts?

After thinking about the overall performance with the Rem Brass and the 7 firings that went along with it, I am going to back off of the "I think I have a die problem".

I think there is something out of speck with the brass. I am pretty sure that if I bump all of the brass that extra .007 so it fits snugly into the chamber, fire it, and re size it with my original die setting (.007 LESS) it will fit fine after that.

evening, as u know the brass shoots better after first firing?? which is fireforming??

I do neck size all new brass before firing. we all as reloaders have our quirks??lightbulb

Hope it's not a bad batch of Bertram brass, I've had some Bertram made 500 Jeffery brass that was pretty bad , the newer stuff is the best I've seen, including the 585 Hubel brass ......

I just ordered 100 pcs of 338 Edge brass from Shawn, sure hope this new batch is good stuff ....
My chamber is a bit oversized as compared to new brass , my solution for the Norma 300 Rum brass is to run it through the Redding FL 338 Edge die then cow bang it and neck size only for loading ammo
I'll be doing the same with the Bertram 338 Edge brass whent it gets here in a couple days

evening, one cartridge can b made into different calibers by sizing.

I had a 243 FL die after a couple of hundred rounds would not size

as good as new. I ordered a new RCBS die. solved my problem. I am asking

a few questions. did u mic the inside of the die from top to bottom using a bore inside

mic. did u check the water volume of the new brass, in reference to the fl of the

once fired old brass. these r questions to help maybe find a solution. I would

very much like to know what u find.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts