338 barrel contour?

bretterath

im gonna be building a 338 for elk hunting and don't want it to be a heavy log. I was planning on getting a proof barrel but now thinking a stainless barrel. What is the smallest contour you would go with for a 338? It will be used for long range but not fired more than 3 shots at a time. Im doing a defiance ul action with a McMillian stock, just trying to decide what barrel to go with.

im thinking Im gonna do a 338 norma improved. Buddy built one and has the reamer that he will borrow me.I shot his this year and the recoil on it surprised me, didn't seem like very much to me. I dont remember what brake he had on it.I would be putting a 5.5-25 nightforce on it and shooting for a 9.5 lb setup
Thanks guys

I'm interested in the replies. I'm planning one (Edge) now with similar use intent and thinking 28" Sendero contour.

does anyone have some pics or weights of there there 338's with steel barrels and specs on them?

A #5 contour works nice for a lighter 338.

It appears that's even lighter (and thinner at the muzzle) than the Sendero I was considering. The APA FB brake recommends a muzzle diameter which the Sendero is close to but the .730" of the "5 is well short. I'm also looking at the Heathen brake although I've not confirmed it will eat enough recoil.

Savage got it right with the 111LRH 338, perfect for hunting and can be carried just like any other rifle. Still great accuracy from a semi sporter barrel. Can give specs if desired.

It appears that's even lighter (and thinner at the muzzle) than the Sendero I was considering. The APA FB brake recommends a muzzle diameter which the Sendero is close to but the .730" of the "5 is well short. I'm also looking at the Heathen brake although I've not confirmed it will eat enough recoil.

All you need is enough meat to thread and seat a brake on a 5/8-24 thread, which I've done a pile of on #5's and it works well, the 338 hole really looses some weight. Somewhere I have a pic on here of a 8.5 lb ish 338 RUM with a NF optic that is a perfect light weight 338 and shoots retarded small!!

does anyone have some pics or weights of there there 338's with steel barrels and specs on them?
I have an Accumark in 338-378 that's not too bad to carry. It has a 26" barrel with a .720" diameter where the brake threads on. With the 5/8" thread tenon there isn't much room left for the shoulder of the brake to seat against the barrel. It's ok the way it is, but I surely wouldn't go any smaller if you're planning on a brake. A Sendero contour with nice deep flutes wouldn't be bad. A number 5 might also be a good choice but gets pretty skinny out at 26" or beyond. A #5 from Pac-Nor is only .700" at the muzzle when cut to 26".

I haven't weighed it but Weatherby says this gun weighs 8.5 lbs without a scope on it.

Medium Target 1.200″3.12″.875″ 30" no fluting remage barrel nut 6lbs . I would say minimum .800 that I would use.

Here are a couple of brakes that I use on my .338. The one on the left is the factory Accubrake which works pretty dang good for reducing recoil. The other one is a homemade brake that I use when shooting prone. Both are fairly lightweight and do a good job of reducing recoil. They are not quite as effective as the larger slab-style brakes but they're light and low profile, which is what I want on a hunting rifle. Notice the amount of material left around the threads. The Accubrake has no lead-in for the threads so it appears to be a little thicker.
08D07A4B-0788-4F7F-8F40-CCBAF41024A7.jpg

faa29c4c-e843-4879-b21a-dcbed084fd20.png

To get down around 9.5 lbs with a NF scope you'll really have to trim that thing down. I would recommend ditching the NF and using a Leupold VX-6 or Swaro. This alone will save you 3/4 of a pound. I have 3 hunting rifles and I never carry the one with the NF because it's a boat anchor. My VX-6 has better glass and weighs 40% less. I also think the 3-18x is a much better range of magnification for a hunting scope than 5.5-25. Trying to find a target in your scope is hard enough on 18x, let alone 25! Take that extra 10-12 ounces and use it to stiffen up your barrel where it will make the most difference.

If I was going for weight savings I would look to a lighter scope and run a little heavier tube. I LOVE Nightforce scopes, but they are heavy!!

Just my .02,
Tod

After seeing what can be done with a factory Rem 338 RUM in a .670" magnum sporter contour, I'd have absolutely no problem running a #5. The Proof Research 338 Sendero contour is a good option. I have two of them, one on a Lapua that comes in at 11.5 lbs with a NF NXS 5.5-25x56, and one on an Edge that comes in right at 10 lbs with a March 2.5-25x52. The PR is expensive, but they shoot.

I put a 26"sendero fluted contour on mine which is about a 5-6 depending on barrel maker. Gun is about 10 pounds with scope which is just about perfect IMO. The .338 size hole in the middle sheds weight. Don't think I would go any lighter than a 5ish contour.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts