338 allen mag questions

lamiglas

My friend is considering building a 338 allen mag. He already has an edge and is thinking he might jump to the allen mag for his next build. He shoots alot out to 1200 yds plus with his edge, and is wanting to start playing around in the 1 mile ranges. the edge will do it, but he likes the idea of the increase in velocity. He has a few quustions and I am hoping you guys can help. First, I have done some searches and read a ton of great info, but none that answer the exact questions he has.

He has a bat action already in hand for the build.

first- what is the go to load with the 300 smk? example, when a edge is built by shawn, the go to is 90 grains of H-1000

second- what kind of velocities can be expected with this go to load with a 30" tube?

3rd- for those that have the allen mag, is it worth it? increased powder charges and cost of new dies etc, for what you are gaining? do they tend to be as accurate. i know accuracy will very from rifle to rifle, but in general.

for those that have the knowledge and can help with his decision, feel free to add any additional information not mentioned above.

thanks alot guys

Do not let your friend get one....if he does get one never shoot it, or you will be building your own. Stay far away from the Allen Mags they are expensive hobbies but worth every cent.

Copied and pasted from the link below.
Dave

338 Allen Magnum
408 Cheyenne Tactical parent case, necked down to 338, shoulder moved roughly 50 thou forward and fireformed to min body taper and sharper shoulder angle.
265 gr. AT RBBT(.920 bc) at 3500 fps in 32" barrel up to 350 gr. ULD RBBT at 3200 fps in 32" barrel.
Designed for heavy big game hunting at long range or standard big game hunting out to extreme range. Has been proven consistant and accurate out to 3008 yards by holding moa accurate out to this range and remaining super sonic in velocity with the 265 gr. AT RBBT.
Appropriate powders: H-50BMG(recommended), H-870, AA8700, US869, WC872, VV 20N29

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/allen-mag-shooters-group-18433/index39.html

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.