.338 Allen Mag..AKA.. Grim Reaper...

.338 Allen

Nice going.

What case is the .338 Allen Magnum based on?

Could someone post a picture of the round, please.

Rick A. Shay

Before the server 'upgrade', there was a post that showed a picture of all the Allen Magnum rounds. It showed more common rounds along side them all.

Maybe Kirby would be so kind as to repost those pictures, along with the information about the Allen Magnums and the Allen Xpress cartridges.

BTW: the 338 AM is based on the 408 cheytac, necked down to .338 and shoulders blown out to increase case capacity. I think a typical load for the .338 AM is around 140gr of H50BMG behind the 300gr Sierra MatchKing for a velocity around 3400fps out of a 32" barrel. I should be receiving my .338AM in the next week or 2.

Here is a picture of the 338AM next to a 7mm Rem Mag

7mmRMvs338AM.jpg

AJ

Last edited:
Shawn

Yep my confidence was really high for sure, Jeff having some second thoughts but after seeing me dump the first buck that went away. Really wanted a longer shot but took what was offered the wind picked up and was blowing hard about 30 minuets after we killed them.

As for the camp seeing a gun liked the Grim Reaper, well I tried to keep it out of site as much as possible, didn't work out as I planned kind of hard to keep out of site being it is as big as it is. There were lots of times it staid in the camper with no one around didn't what some one to borrow it on the no return policy.

I know you would have been right there with us if you could… Some of my best times hunting and shooting have been with you buddy great times indeed still not over.

No long range rock busting didn't want to spook the deer, didn't have time after we shot them. As for the Chuckers well worst year I ever saw no birds to speak of

Got crazy after we got them out of the hole and forgot to get a picture of the Grim Reaper with the deer but here it is.
1002181pc0.jpg

Kirby

Great country for long rang shooting but with all the canyons when the wind picks up it really hard to guess what's going on that's why I took the 500 yard shot with no wind. At times looking out across some of that country I thought I might be under gunned

My buck has a 27" spread not bad but really of liked to have got one in the 30" zone but I guess that's why they call it hunting and not shopping….

Wish I could of took the 270 AM, timing just didn't work out for me on it **** stock took to long to get, would have been so much nicer to pack around…

Thanks again for building me both of those fine rifles.

Before the server 'upgrade', there was a post that showed a picture of all the Allen Magnum rounds. It showed more common rounds along side them all.

Maybe Kirby would be so kind as to repost those pictures, along with the information about the Allen Magnums and the Allen Xpress cartridges.

BTW: the 338 AM is based on the 408 cheytac, necked down to .338 and shoulders blown out to increase case capacity.

Here is a picture of the 338AM next to a 7mm Rem Mag

7mmRMvs338AM.jpg

AJ

Ah. Thank you for that image and answer.

The .408 CheyTac has been an elusive cartridge for me to find. (I've posted my request to my Tactical-Rifle, and Battle-Rifle groups, but to no avail.) I have NOT tried the CheyTac people, themselves, but that is the next step. I am looking for a single specimen of the .408 CheyTac for my collection. Does anyone here have one that they would be willing to part with?

Thanks.

WOW! That'll get you into shape won't it. Lugging that up and down the hills. Congrats to both of you.

If you put a tape to your buck, I'd be interested to hear what it scores.

Congrats again!

Slope hunter

I don't have a clue how to score an animal maybe someone could help me out…I don't know about getting in shape but it was killing me packing that beast.

Slope hunter

I don't have a clue how to score an animal maybe someone could help me out…I don't know about getting in shape but it was killing me packing that beast.

Try this link and follow the instuctions, you probably wont get it exactly the first few times but you cat get close.
Thanks for the pics and the story, CONGRADULATIONS to both of you!!!

Boone and Crockett Club

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.