338-378 WBY Mag vs 338 Edge

Obviously, The 338/378 has more case capacity than the 338 Edge and is capable on pushing the heaviest bullets faster if that is important. The 338.378 has approximately 20 more grains of powder capacity over the 338 Edge.

The Edge has it's following because it can reach the same velocity with less barrel length using medium weight bullets And less powder.

Ether cartridges are very good and the difference is only in the ultimate velocity goal and bullet desires.

I know that was not much help, but my opinion should not decide your choice. Look at both, and get the one that will best fill your needs.

J E CUSTOM

The old saying " There is no replacement for displacement" would apply here. As with many choices it comes down to what you intend to use for your purpose. Just like many cartridges of the same caliber will walk right together with certain bullet weights at some point the case with the most capacity will take over when projectiles get heavier. All that said JE said it best. Pick the one that will work best for your intended use and if there is one at a great deal that will make you happy then make yourself happy.

I have never had a 338-378 but have had 3-4 30-378s.... I also am on my 3rd 338 Edge... If I had an Accumark already that I wanted to use as a donor I would probably build a 338 Lapua ai on it over both the Edge and the 338-378... If I had an Ultramag I wanted to use for a donor I would go Edge.....If you look at brass availability, quality, and maybe costs from scratch the Edge probably wins out... At least in the semi-custom best bang for the $ value...Not that many years ago before we had so many custom action companies many of the good smiths really like the Weatherby Mark V.. 9 lug action to build off of.... You don't see many posts about using the Weatherby Action lately... JMO... Dave

I have a WBY Accumark in 338-378 ,tech problems so far like destroying standard Leupold base and rings( Came with rifle) installed a rail and it revealed I guess factory scope base screws are off,shot 6" to right,with left windage maxed out at 50 yds.(Zeiss V6 ) So waiting on some Burris XTR signature rings with off set shims to fix that problem,then I'll get down to some load development . So also thinking when I burn this bbl up ,inquiring about options.

My grandpa bought a beautiful mark v in .300WBY i don't know what year. 70s i would guess. Now my dad has it. Its the most accurate factory rifle I've shot hands down.

You would be able to do a 338 Lapua or the Weatherby with your current bolt face.... The Edge takes the Ultramag bolt face.... Unless you got a new bolt...I also would contact Weatherby and send it back and have them fix it...I would think they would fix it or replace it .... Dave

Give Richard Near a call at Near Manufacturing. He is everything Weatherby when it comes to scope bases and mounts. Not suggesting buy a set from him but I have found him to be a wealth of information. He may be able to help you determine what the issue is and which is the best way to address it. I have several Weatherby Mark Vs in 378 based cartridges. I like others would think if it is a factory defect Weatherby would make it right. I do know their leads times are extremely long.

So you think me using Burris XTR signature rings is a cheap fix ? The picatanny rail I installed is a Ken Farrell industries designed for the long action WBY MK V has a recoil lug in it.($136 bucks,NEAR was nearly $200) With leupold Standard bases I adjusted it to bulls eye with a couple twist of screw driver. Then after 25 rounds scope wiggled like jello,looked like the metal where ring cams into base was severely stretched.

Not at all. I don't think at all you're trying a cheap fix. Just suggesting that you make sure that screw hole misalignment is the problem and if it is to determine the best way to address it. I had the same problem with standard bases on a 30-378 it destroyed the little flanges that make the windage adjustment. I went to a rail also just fortunately didn't experience the same problem. I did go with Near but am not suggesting anyone go that route as they are pricey but Mr. Near has always been very helpful with any questions I have had and seems to be very knowledgeable about Weatherbys in particular. He may be able to give some suggestions on how to determine what is going on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.