338-375 Ruger Demon

568 falls right into this case with the burn rate chart.
I don't think 568 will be a good choice in this case, I could be wrong. 568 per grain is a fair bit slower than N570. It's like a very low energy Retumbo, similar case fill but quite a bit slower. 568 was pretty anemic in my testing in a few overbore cartridges. The 338 long prc is not that overbore, more in line with a 300 wsm or 7 saum in case capacity to bore size. I think N555, RL23 N560, rl16 will likely be best, stabal65 may even be a good choice since you can pack a ton into it. I have 100pcs 300prc brass necked up to 338 and I do plan to build one eventually, I just need to find a 10tw blank, and get a reamer coming with 100k freebore for 250 Bergers.

I don't think 568 will be a good choice in this case, I could be wrong. 568 per grain is a fair bit slower than N570. It's like a very low energy Retumbo, similar case fill but quite a bit slower. 568 was pretty anemic in my testing in a few overbore cartridges. The 338 long prc is not that overbore, more in line with a 300 wsm or 7 saum in case capacity to bore size. I think N555, RL23 N560, rl16 will likely be best, stabal65 may even be a good choice since you can pack a ton into it. I have 100pcs 300prc brass necked up to 338 and I do plan to build one eventually, I just need to find a 10tw blank, and get a reamer coming with 100k freebore for 250 Bergers.
I plan to try h4350 first with the 250 bergers.

Have you considered the 33 Sherman Magnum? I'm lining out a 338 PRC (338-300 PRC with Lapua brass) and found out that Sherman makes that 33 SM. A little easier route with the .100 fb reamer & Hornady Custom dies on the shelf. Only drawback is the fireforming if it's not your thing.

Have you considered the 33 Sherman Magnum? I'm lining out a 338 PRC (338-300 PRC with Lapua brass) and found out that Sherman makes that 33 SM. A little easier route with the .100 fb reamer & Hornady Custom dies on the shelf. Only drawback is the fireforming if it's not your thing.
I looked into the 33sm, his freebore is very long for heavy for cal bullets. I don't believe in Shermanizing anything other than the original 30-06 parent cases where he had his humble beginnings, as those are the only cases that gain enough capacity to come close to warrenting their velocity gain. I've had 3 Sherman's built on Saum parent case, they've done nothing for me.

I looked into the 33sm, his freebore is very long for heavy for cal bullets. I don't believe in Shermanizing anything other than the original 30-06 parent cases where he had his humble beginnings, as those are the only cases that gain enough capacity to come close to warrenting their velocity gain. I've had 3 Sherman's built on Saum parent case, they've done nothing for me.

Thats good Intel. He does make a short & long freebore reamer for that 33 SM. Seems like a convenient option with the Reamer & Dies already spec'd and on his shelf. Vs, tracking down a reamer & die or hoping with a custom set from say whidden maybe. Thoughts? I'm curious now what others have done for dies with a 338 PRC/Demon

Thats good Intel. He does make a short & long freebore reamer for that 33 SM. Seems like a convenient option with the Reamer & Dies already spec'd and on his shelf. Vs, tracking down a reamer & die or hoping with a custom set from say whidden maybe. Thoughts? I'm curious now what others have done for dies with a 338 PRC/Demon

My smith has a reamer he designed for the 338prc and then also cut my arbor press seater and opened up a 300 prc bushing sizer die. I didn't feel the 33sm was for me. I think there's better options than Sherman's for me. To each their own. I just haven't seen the gains. I personally think this case is meant for the 250's

My smith has a reamer he designed for the 338prc and then also cut my arbor press seater and opened up a 300 prc bushing sizer die. I didn't feel the 33sm was for me. I think there's better options than Sherman's for me. To each their own. I just haven't seen the gains. I personally think this case is meant for the 250's

Definitely agree with you on using 250's with this case. I'm leaning towards 200-250 class bullets. 250 EH Bergers, 225 Accubonds, 230 ELDX. Maybe 200-225 gr mono's.

What sizing die did you modify?

The original design of the 338 campfire aka 338 demon was. 338/375 ruger. The 375 ruger held 99gr, lapua and adg 300prc is close to 95gr. I myself would load some rounds first, and decide the chamber neck diameter before ordering a custom reamer with a 200 line dimension of 0.535. I know lapua has thicker necks than adg from time spent playing with my 7/300prc wildcat. As far as dies a simple 300prc fl bushing die will work but may require a light mill job if the neck diameter isn't large enough, for a seater, a Hornady micrometer seater with a 230eldx stem will likely suffice.

I will not go the Sherman route EVER no matter the convenience as I do not condone his high pressure nonsense.

Definitely agree with you on using 250's with this case. I'm leaning towards 200-250 class bullets. 250 EH Bergers, 225 Accubonds, 230 ELDX. Maybe 200-225 gr mono's.

What sizing die did you modify?

If the 250 bergers don't shoot I will probably try some lighter ones. Bullet centrals, they are spendy but they are so nice….

The original design of the 338 campfire aka 338 demon was. 338/375 ruger. The 375 ruger held 99gr, lapua and adg 300prc is close to 95gr. I myself would load some rounds first, and decide the chamber neck diameter before ordering a custom reamer with a 200 line dimension of 0.535. I know lapua has thicker necks than adg from time spent playing with my 7/300prc wildcat. As far as dies a simple 300prc fl bushing die will work but may require a light mill job if the neck diameter isn't large enough, for a seater, a Hornady micrometer seater with a 230eldx stem will likely suffice.

I will not go the Sherman route EVER no matter the convenience as I do not condone his high pressure nonsense.
If this 338/375 Ruger was throated for the 270ELDX, I wonder how it would fare out of a 26" barrel?

I agree that the 300s are probably too heavy but something in the 250-280ish class, I'm wondering if this case would reliably push those fast enough to justify that necessary freebore?

Loaded to ~3.85".

I've asked this same question on another forum this morning.

If this 338/375 Ruger was throated for the 270ELDX, I wonder how it would fare out of a 26" barrel?

I agree that the 300s are probably too heavy but something in the 250-280ish class, I'm wondering if this case would reliably push those fast enough to justify that necessary freebore?

Loaded to ~3.85".

I've asked this same question on another forum this morning.
2750-2800 would likely be top end with that heavy a bullet. I shot them in my 28" 338rum with rl26 and 2900+ was pretty easy to attain. My fired 338 rum brass holds 110gr water. That rifle shoots 300 Bergers very well at 2810 using N570.

I wonder if we're splitting hairs here. The 33nosler has to be around 96-98gr water capacity. I've personally measured adg 28 nos at 103, 30 nos at 101, and the 33 is a touch smaller yet. It'd essentially be the same performance wise, the prc parents just offers more brass options.

Last edited: