338/375 Ruger info requested

I found that forming a 338/ 375 Ruger to be very easy. I was necking the brass down to 7mm/375 Ruger and used a 338 RCM FL die at that point. The 375 Ruger and 338 RCM share the same shoulder diameter and angle. In fact in an effort to minimize costs I use the 375 Ruger FL die as a body taper/shoulder bump die. I had a Whidden 338 RCM bushing die and I use that to neck size the 7mm necks. If you had to get a custom die set I would seriously consider using Whidden. You will get your dies fast and they will be high quality.

How about bullet Seating? I used the chamber reamer to recut the sliding pilot tube in a 7 Rem mag Redding competition die. You could certainly do the same with a 338 Win mag comp die.

I think the 338/375 Ruger would be a great round. Brass is readily available. I would use 330 Dakota load data and work up carefully.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would most likely use a standard length mag bolt face stainless Ruger action and probably have the bolt stop moved back a 1/4-3/8" so I could use a magnum length magazine box. It is either the 338/300 Win Mag or the 338/375 Ruger. I want to get 2700 fps from the 300 gr Berger, Seirra, and Woodliegh. . The rifle would mainly be a Long Range rifle with ELR capabilities. But with just a different bullet be able to knock down a brown bear at 50' . That would make an Alaska Big game rifle that would be hard to beat. Thank you for the insight and the reply. I hadn't thot about using a 338 RCM resize to neck it down.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.