338/300 RUM Bullpup - Posted for Dave Wilson

royinidaho

Here ya go Dave. Its been a pleasure to be of assistance and the first to see this rifle.

First pic is of 3 groups. Yup, those numbers are yards! And the coin is a quarter. It says a lot for what Dave has done with this project. At first I tho't it was a nickel and I was really miffed (read jealous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) Come on Roy, remember, thou shalt not covet! Yea, right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave will post details.
332P1010004-med.jpg

332P1010008-med.jpg

332P1010009-med.jpg

332P1010010-med.jpg

Groups got smaller as the range increased! What the hay is going on there! All I can say is WOW! Awesome shooting, cant wait to here the specs on that thing. PRetty cool looking rig.

Dave,

It is not exactly what I had pictured when we talked about the project earlier. I like the concept and it is nice looking. Oh yea it shoots OK too.

Hey Dave did you make the yardage circles before or after
you shot those groups, hahahahaha just kidding
thats a sweet looking thing man
how is that scope sitting on there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

VERY INTERESTING!!!
Nice job and great shooting Dave.
Thats one compact cannon!

CAM

my main purpose with this was to build a hunting gun that wasn't your typical 50"+ monster. i needed something that could be carried around out west if need be but something compact enough to carry through our woods back east.when i hunted long range this year here in Pa., i had a 2 hr walk to get to my hunting spot.i'd wrap the gun in my coveralls,then put the 30" long rangefinder and all the other stuff in an army dufflebag, then tie it on my packframe. all that sticks out is the end of the barrel which i have some foam rubber and a piece of 2" pvc over to protect it.being short it packs great compared to the 51" long beast i had last year.the balance is different, it's rear heavy and i'm still learning how to shoot it consistantly. being lighter in the front, it jumps more when not holding it and the surface you shoot off of is everything.ground with grass or something soft works best where i can really preload the bi-pod.the groups pictured were shot on 3 different days. i'm almost embarrassed to post that 950 group because i wasn't even holding the cross hairs that steady when i was shooting.i was quite surprised when i saw the holes as it was purely a situation where my wiggles were making up for my wobbles!

specifications are:
rem 700, trued, speed lock firing pin,not sure who's bolt handle?
Rock Creek. 5C lands, 10T, custom profile barrel
chambered to 338/300
action and metal work by Chris Mathews of Long Shot Rifles
Holland QD brake
modified xp-100 trigger(by myself)
laminated stock by Joel "the Stock man" Russo
Limbsaver recoil pad
bedding block,which has the scope base,recoil lug, and trigger brackets made by local machine shop.
Harris bi-pod/podlock
Lupy 6.5-20/tapered turrets and level
Millet adjustable rings
all stock work and bedding done by yours truly.

Norz, the bedding block and the tang at the rear of the action are bedded.the section of action and barrel in between have clearance.i didn't feel an action that was unsupported would be the best when i was resting my head on it while shooting.

Dave

I assume you have a pretty good supply of mind altering substances in order to have thought this thing up in the first place and then to actually put your face up there on the action while you pull the trigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It certainly seems to shoot well and that is what counts.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.