338 300 grain SMK test results

I cannot speak for the 250 SMK on game. The 250 SMK was the first bullet I tried in my first 338 Edge. Shortly after switching the 300 SMK. This fall I shot or filmed being shot 1 blackbear, 4 whitetail bucks, from 618 to 1016 yards. My muzzle velocity was 2818 fps with the 300 SMK. The bullet performance was quite good. All shots were 1 shot drops falling inside of 40 yards. No full bullets were recovered all were pass throughs even at a fair quartering angle. The most common scenerio was for core jacket sepperation the jacket turning into fragments from the size of half of the jacket to very small, the core then did one of 2 things tumbled penetrating through or breaking into 2 pieces and penetrating clear through. While performance is not consistantly the same everytime getting jacket frag and core penetration works very well terminally. There are several 338 bullets coming into the market place in the next year mostly in the 250 gr range that have alot of promise, but for right now I have been perfectly happy with the 300SMK's performance over the last 3 years or so. In all we are only talking about 10-11 big game animals so it is not exactly a huge test group but it has not failed me or anyone I have witnessed that had even reasonable shot placement.

i've talked and heard from 3 individuals that have shot and watched others take anywhere from between 20 to 50+ animals each with the 300 SMK. Darryl Cassel was the only one that never saw the bullet fail, or not open up. in all cases he said the terminal damage was extensive to, extreme and in some cases, volley ball size holes. the other 2 said they've seen a few cases where the bullet went right through a deer's ribs and not even make the deer stumble. when they work, they work great. but once in a while,they don't open. i opened the hollow point up on mine this year to guarantee expansion. of course these were the 250 gr version. personally i can't wait for the Berger's to become available. i will use them if the accuracy is as good.

Well, add two more moose, two more elk, one deer, and one antelope and we're starting to get quite a list!

GG,

Did you recover any more of those 300 gr SMK's?

BTW, Nosler has announced a 250 gr AB in .338 for 2008. The BC is listed at .575.

JD338

That is good news about the 250 AB but I hope the bc is higher than .575. That wouldn't be high enough to offset the loss of muzzle velocity.

I never did get any more of the 300 grain SMK's returned to me although my friend is going to take a metal detector and go back in where he shot his antelope and find his bullet this spring. It went into the poop shoot and came out the chest at 1500+ yards and the buck died before it hit the ground!

GG, yes it is good news about the 250 AB's. I would have prefered a 265 or heavier myself. But, I'll take what I can get!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.