338-06 pet loads for 200-225grainers

Rugerdiggs

I am putting a 338-06 together and looking for some pet loads you guys have. I tried to search this forum but kept saying search was to long or short so i decided to make the post.

The barrel is a 1:10 twist at 26inches long and will try some 200's and 225's in it. I currently have some hornady spire points and sst's in both grains. Havent decided on a powder yet, all input is appreciated, thanks

I don't have the exact data in front of me but I was using a max load of IMR 4350 Winchester LR primer W-W .30/06 brass and Nosler 210 grain Partitions in a 26" 10 twist barrel and got single digit SDs and .5 minute accuracy and very good velocity. I shot the 200 grain BT some too but they seemed a little "soft" I had one come apart on a whitetail out about 160 yards, he didn't go anywhere but the bullet was in pieces and had a complete jacket separation. Never shot the Hornady bullets so I can't help with them, sorry!

A really great caliber IMHO!

Bob

Thanks, may try some H4350 in it then. How far did you get to stretch it before it started nose diving. Was your muzzle velocity in 2800's?

I will have to dig out my records but it seems like I was getting right around 2800 fps. I always considered it a 300 yard cartridge bu t I never really studied the ballistics on it either. I replaced it with a 9.3x62 a few years ago but I have a new set of .338/06 dies on the way right now so I'm sure I'll screw another one together sometime in the near future.

Bob

I have a Winchester Model 70, with a 24 inch Lilja barrel. My standard load with a 200 grain Woodleigh Weldcore protected point is 62 grains of H4350, in a Rem case and using a Rem standard primer. Velocity chronographs at 2,840 fps. Very pleasant to use and very accurate. I should add that these projectiles are made by Woodleigh specifically for the .338/06 & .338 Federal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.