338-06 Loads

Sikadog

I live in the uk and I am having a 338-06 built and was wondering if the good people on your side of the Atlantic could help me with some loads I know every rifle is differant and I have read the loading books but you can't beat finding out what everone else is using. 338-06 is about as common as snow on the sun over here.

Two of my cousins and I all built .338-06 customs on Mauser action a few years back. Only three I know of in the neck of the woods. All shoot great. We all handload too.
I'll look up what I use for loads and get back to you. I don't load real hot loads either, no need to with this thing.

I use only two load in reformed Military surplus 30-06 brass necked up to .338-06. That way the headstamp doesn't cause any confusion. You can buy Nosler (or is it Norma) brass or A-Square brass with the correct headstamp.

1) 200 grain Speer SP, 59.0 grains of H4350, CCI 200 primers. Shoots great. Mild load but the last moose I shot didn't like it much.

2) 225 grain Hornady Spire Point, 57.0 grains of H4350, CCI 200 primers. Shoot great, not a very heavy load either.

I've had some trouble getting my 338-06 shooting under an inch. I went thru a lot of bullets and powder looking for a truly stunning load. It's a Rem 700 with a 24 inch Douglas 1:10 SS barrel and an H-S Precision stock (that I glass bedded despite the company saying it wasn't necessary). My loads that I settled on are:

185 Barnes TSX, WLR primer, 55.5 grains of H4895, 50 thou off the lands. I haven't chrono'd it yet, but it should be about 2925 fps according to the Barnes loading manual. No pressure signs and it shoots right at an inch at 100 yards. This is a book max load. Recoil isn't too bad at all.

225 Nosler Accubond, WLR primer, 62 grains of H4350, 10 thou off the lands. This is the max load listed in the Speer manual for their bullets. This powder charge is a few grains higher than max in other manuals. I get 3/4 inch groups at about 2770 fps. No sticky bolt, but must be pretty hot. I shot two pigs with this load and it hit them like the hammer of Thor. Big exit wounds the size of a baseball.

I also got just over an inch with 180 Nosler Accubonds, 56 grs of IMR 4064, WLR primers, 10 thou off the lands. Never chrono'd it and never shot anything with it.

All loads are with re-formed 30-06 brass with Redding Dies.

I'm shooting with a Leupold 3X9 with a THICK reticle which probably doesn't help shooting at paper at 100 yard.

My next attempt will be with 185 TTSX and H4895 and Weatherby 338-06 A-sq brass as soon as I can find some H4895.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.