338-06 Loads

cgarb

I'm just asking around a bit...I have a 338-06 I'm trying some different loads to see what it likes. It does not shoot the 200SST with BLC-2 as accurately as I hoped. Trying some 200 Noslers, as well as some RL-15 too. I also bought a box of 215 gamekings to try with RL-19...I have a crap pile of RL-19 so why not. Right out of the Sierra manual it claims a max load 65.8grs. I started at 59 and loaded some up a grain at a time...64 almost completely fills the case. I'm using Remington cases vs the Winchester cases the manual suggests. It's making me nervous, so I looked at my stepsons 270 loads with 150 sst's are 57gr of RL-19...I know it's a different caliber, but very similar case capacity with a lighter bullet. Am I asking for trouble here? Seems like a lot of powder under a 215gr bullet to me.

My best performing powder in my own 338-06 has always been H4350. W760 is also another good powder. RE19 is also good, but slow for me.
RE19 is pretty small grained, so swirling the charge or vibrating may give you better case fill.
I swirl charge every load I make, gives me more consistent velocities and removes fliers once tuned.

My 338-06 is on a custom Mauser '98 BRNO VZ24 action. It wears a 24" Maddco barrel.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.