330 Dakota barrel

79m1a-texas

What would be the preferred barrel twist for a 330 Dakota and which weight bullet? The current barrel has a 10.5" twist, 25" barrel with break and is .638" diameter at muzzle. Considering barrel replacement. Would like to stay in the 210-300g bullet weight.

A 1:10 twist will do everything up to and including a 300 grain bullet but most companies are putting out 1:9.5 and 1:9.3 twist for some of the 300+ grain bullets. I built a 338 edge and opted for the 1:10 twist and am very happy with it but there is talk of a larger berger 338 bullet that may take a faster twist as would mono bullets. Does your rifle happen to be an actual Dakota? As for contour that is up to your intended purpose of a finished weight. Great choice on cartridge! I have a 300 Dakota and love it. I just wish there was a better source of brass as I have heard that hornady makes it for them these days but that's just what I've heard.

The rifle is a '77 Browning BBR that was re-barreled into the 330 Dakota chambering. I must have been lucky. Have 4 boxes of new brass in the original Dakota boxes and about another of 80 pieces of once fired. Set for awhile on brass.

Simple, quick calculations indicate that the 1:10.5" will be adequate for up to the Berger 300 gr. Elite Hunter as long as you play at the upper end of the velocity range. Moderate velocities will necessitate a faster twist. That's why most of the best barrel makers are suggesting the faster 1:9.5" twist rate.

My current rifle has the 1:10" twist rate but I'm shooting the slightly lower weight (ie. shorter) target bullets. My next barrel will be 1:8.7" twist for the maximum weight, significantly longer, target cartridges.

My 330 Dakota has a 25" Bartlein #4. I went with a little heavier contour because of the titanium action used. #3B or 4 would be my recommendation. I shot the Berger 250 to begin with but on next hunt will either use the 260 Hammer or the Nosler 265 LRAB when it is released.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts