.325 WSM

BIG DOG

I JUST WENT TO THE KIMBER WEBSITE TO SEE THE SPECS ON THE 8400 MONTANA(HOPING FOR A LEFTY.) THEY HAD A PRESS RELEASE FROM WINCHESTER ON A .325 WSM. WHY WOULD THEY DESIGN A CARTRIDGE AROUND THE 8MM BULLET AS OPPOSED TO THE .338?

My best guess is that they'r trying to be as innovative as possible without committing to a new caliber. In 338 we have about 5 or 6 factory rounds. In 323 there are two. They are thinking there a hunters out there looking for something on the big side of their all-American 308 cal, but won't rattle your teeth.
It's all marketing. A 200g .323" bullet going 2800 or whatever is going to work great. No reason in particular not to like it.
But it's hard to imagine this outselling a 338 WSM. I really don't get it honestly.
One gets the feeling that the market is becoming so unbearably saturated, that "new" ideas are near impossible. What a great time to be a shooter.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.