30mm Scope purchase ?

Southernfryedyankee

All my rifles have nikon scopes. I have been looking at the Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50 30mm scope. I know the 30mm will have more internal adjustments but is it worth the extra $400-500 or could I just go with a standard 1" tube and get a scope mount with a 10-20 MOA taper?

That particular model you mention has only 50 MOA of adjustment. The Gold series have 80 MOA but only come in the 2.5 x10 mag. range, I believe their 1" Monarchs have 40 MOA in the 4x16 power range.

The Monarch X 2.5 x 10 x 44 MM has 80 MOA. That's the one I've got on order.

I think the X Line is worth the money as you get more precise elevation and windage adjustment with better repeatablility than on the other scopes they make.

You also get a glass etched reticle and larger internal lenses in the 30MM scopes.

Best,

Dee

Last edited:
**** that really sucks. I think it should be the other way around as far as the x having 80 and the gold having 50. So would a tapered base help me in this particular sitution?

Honestly, I've never used Tapered bases. Until a year ago, I never hunted anywhere that you had to shoot past 200 yds.

That's why I joined up.

I'm sure there are folks on here who could answer that question alot better than I could.

Best,

Dee

All my rifles have nikon scopes. I have been looking at the Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50 30mm scope. I know the 30mm will have more internal adjustments but is it worth the extra $400-500 or could I just go with a standard 1" tube and get a scope mount with a 10-20 MOA taper?

It depends where the scope is pointing with and without the tapered base. It depends where in the adjustment range the scope is prior to using the tapered base. A tapered base might not be needed or it might be a necessity. It also depends on the cartridge you are using and the max range you intend to shoot. I like to have enough adjustment in my scope to go from 100yds to max range on the scope. Sometimes the scope will have enough adjustment on it's own and sometimes you need an angled base to make everything work.

AJ

AJ I will be using a 300 win mag

my 3 cartridge choices obviously depending on the situation are,

Federal 190g sierra match king

black hills 180g TSX

Black hills 178 A-max but not for large game

AJ I will be using a 300 win mag

my 3 cartridge choices obviously depending on the situation are,

Federal 190g sierra match king

black hills 180g TSX

Black hills 178 A-max but not for large game

Depending on your load, with a 100yd zero, 35moa should get you out to 1100-1200yds which is likely close to your max range for hunting.

Depending on your particular rifle, you might be OK with a 50moa scope, but I would probably bet against it. If you already have a flat base, simply mount the scope and sight it in at 100yds and see how much elevation you have left. Then you can either celebrate or get a tapered base or rings that give you some additional elevation. If you don't already have rings, I've heard good things about the rings with the inserts to gain adjustment.

AJ

I dont have the scope or any of the scope components yet. I have the stock, trued action, heavy recoil lug and thats it. I am about to put my order in for the barrel which will still gove me time to decide on the optics

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts