308 winchester reamer question

This is not on a .308 but a .338. It had a tight standard reamer used on it and still when you neck turn down your brass to anywhere near even, say .125" the you have .006 or .007 neck clearance which is pretty sloppy and also leaves you with almost no neck tension with standard dies. The reason for standard reaming was to allow the use of factory shells. I have never shot any but reloads so now I realize that was a poor decision. Now it looks like my barrel is going to get a little shorter and a custom sized reamer used and hopefully dies can be bought at the same time to fit it. In addition, it really over works the brass with that much clearance to expand in and then size back down.

So match grade chambers are just a bit tighter than SAAMI spec chambers?
Would i need to neck turn to use a match grade chamber

IMO, A "match grade" reamer is nothing more than a custom reamer and not nessary to
achieve maximum accuracy. Most of the time the only difference is the neck dimension is
less than SAMME and must be addressed when loading, and may not chamber factory ammo
without excessive pressures.

Top Quality reamers are SAMME spec and if they are used correctly are less troublesome
when reloading.

A well cut chamber is as tight as you want and a poorly cut chamber with any reamer is
just that.

As far as turning the necks, Neck to chamber clearance is required in order to load max loads
and should be checked no matter what reamer is used for proper clearance.

And a special reamer is not required to get outstanding accuracy. A good chamber Is.

Go with a good SAMME reamer and Smith and you should have a rifle that will out shoot you.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I would add, some times a match reamer may be set for a certain bullet. My "match reamer" was a Palma reamer that is throated for 155 gr bullets. 175's would be seated way to deep.

Ok that clears things up a bunch. My main concerns were just overworking brass and giving myself enough free bore to allow some flexibility with bullet choice. Btw its been a long time since i picked up a firearm that wasnt as accurate as i was.

Im lacking when it comes to gunsmith ing knowledge but i assume that even if i choose a SAAMI spec reamer i can have the smith throat the barrel however id like?

The SAMMI spec reamer will have a throat on it that will clear all factory loads so you may have trouble seating near the lands. Bullets under 165 gr. you will probably not get close

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.