.308 win

A great friend (73 year old gunsmith) just retired and taught me lr shooting and a lot of gunsmithing said his favorite rifle was his 308. He built my first edge and owned all the big stuff 6br up to 500/460 wby).
The last rifle he owned, after selling everything else, was a Rem 700 308 and hs stock.

This is how I feel about a .308

Attachments

• B4748558-1757-458D-AF9B-12A868A4F8D9.jpeg
    B4748558-1757-458D-AF9B-12A868A4F8D9.jpeg
    791.2 KB · Views: 129
The Tikka's are pretty nice as well. I have a lefty in .243 Same deal. Easy to shoot, accurate, shoots just about everything well. Even my hand loads

Has to be the best caliber to learn to shoot well. They shoot factory match ammo very well so you don't need to reload to get started. Mild report mild recoil. You will learn what wind does and there is enough information out there along with some of the best bdc and wind doping reticles for a single caliber.

The Tikka trigger is a really nice one. Fairly crisp and fairly light. I literally mounted the scope, bore sighted, got on paper adjusted and sent three through a nice little cloverleaf pattern center bull in like 15 minutes and 7 rounds pulling factory ammo from the box. Aside from AR stuff and a few out of my old .340wby, this is the only factory ammo I've shot in like 15 plus years. I guessed muzzle velocity based on box velocity minus 100fps for the 20"barrel and center punched 5for5 clay pidgeons at various distances to 300 then found increasingly difficult rocks at 500, then 825yds. Three for three on a 4" rock at 500, then took a couple rounds to hit a 10"er at 825 dialing 31.2MOA. The two other guys with me hit a slightly larger target at the 500 mark from a seated position and scared the snot out of the rock at 825. First time either had shot over 300 yds. It was a blast!

The 308 has always been a great round , it's just not as sexy today as some of the new and overly advertised caliber s. I only own one as if today

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts