308 Win with H380 Starting Point Suggestion

drenner43

So this is a follow up to my previous post. Background info.

Loading for a friend. This is just for a hunting load, not long range. He has the components except powder and H380 is what i have extra of so others are not an option. Brass is Lapua and he has 175gr Barnes LRX BT. I know there are better powders and better bullets for this cartridge but this is what i have to work with. I contacted Barnes and they had no help or recommendations with the powder. Did say i could use lead core bullet data with the LRX just to be sure to start at the min. One of the photos was shared from the Sierra book and i found the other in the Nosler book.

2 questions

what would your initial starting charge be? 42gr? 44? Planning to work up in 1gr increments to start with.

I have CCI large rifle primers and Fed magnums, i've seen both used. what would you use?

a029d419-914e-475d-826d-b4ccdb632cd2-png.284433

1867dbcd-6ee9-46da-b0a1-b6da4ed957b2-jpeg.299271

I'd start at, 44.0 grains and work up in, 1/2 grain, increments.
My best ( most accurate, Hunting loads ) are "usually" one grain to, a 1/2 grain, UNDER, Max charge.
Starting too Low is,.. a WASTE of,.. Powder / Time / Bullets.
CCI standard lge Rifle should Lite off 45 Grains of H-380 Powder,.. NO,. problem !
CCI std's are what I use with, H-380 in my .22-250, to shoot, "BugHoles" .

Last edited:
Loaded a few rounds up last night and to get them to fit in the factory 700 ADL mag box I ended up with an OAL of 2.832". With 43gr it is definitely a compressed load. However, the nosler photo above also shows the 180gr bullets compressed at 44gr with a book OAL of 2.810". With that In mind I would think these compressed loads would be safe up to 44-45 gr, would you agree?

I would not start with a compressed load, but that decision is up to you. I had a firearm explode on me about 20 years ago. It was a faulty action, but bone above my left wrist has been replaced with expensive angle iron and sheet metal screws. I tend to start low and watch for pressure signs.

Agreed once you have felt the beast like that it makes you cautious and caution is a good thing. I know some say a low charge is a waist of time but I have found based on a gun barrels harmonics there can be two maybe three loads that will deliver good accuracy so I tend to take my time (trigger time done right is never waisted) and shoot small increments. Then after finding that sweet spot I try a little OAL adjustment once again in small amounts. Yes if you load 30-40 RDS at each incremental step, it's a lot but I try to keep numbers down until I have something that I like then load more for final testing on longer ranges that they will be used on. Just my thoughts. Everyone has them. Good luck and happy range time.

Nick

Recent Posts