308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor

Hello good people, been awhile pretty crazy to come back to this but that's why we do it welcome all new people. Grew up with a 243, moved to a 2506, was I'm pressed with both. Unfortunately I had not shot a 308 because back then the ballistic table showed that the drop was crazy so I stayed away, ok the question on the two my friends and I shoot from 100 to 1000 308 or 6.5 at the long one the holes are the same, please if you practice over and over don't get crazy with either.. every one has a limit, we punch a lot of paper from 600 out but hunting please be on .

Agree but let's state actual data instead of verbal generalities. Used 7.5 lb rifle as base line. The 6.5CM comes in 2.4 lbs lighter in recoil. The load data is from Hodgdon website for 143 ELDX and 150SST. In actuality, recoil velocity is a stronger reflection of felt recoil and their differences are marginal at best at <1fps.

IMO, the overall recoil difference is marginal at best.

Its closer to 2.6lbs which doesn't seem like a lot on its own but that is almost a 15% reduction in recoil impulse. While maybe not huge, I would say it is perhaps more than marginal. Less recoil and a more comfortable shooting experience as a trade off for less kinetic energy but ultimately resulting in similar ballistics (to a given distance) is really a decision only the end user can make based on their own requirements. I do think the vague and unscientific X factor of "shootability" plays a role in why people choose one cartridge over another, and perhaps why the choice to go 6.5 aggravates people who are looking at the numbers. Throw in the proliferation of user anecdotes and general information on the internet, plus the wide spread use in PRS, and the draw is not insignificant.

I'm debating on 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor for whitetail hunting, maximum range 250 yards; average 75-125 yards. Any real pros going with the 6.5 CM over the 308? I have no plans ever shooting over 500 yards.
I have both. Just bought a .308 and I bought 140 rounds of premium ammo for $24 a box. Ammo is abundant and cheap. There is no reason I can think of to pass the .308.

I compete with a RuGER Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor because it is ballistically superior to the .308 Win.
PLUS at ranges beyond 300 yards it carries more energy due to its better aerodynamics.

I am converting my SAVAGE 99 lever action from .308 to 6.5 CM for that reason as well. The magazine will easily accommodate 6.5 CM as do teh MAGPUL 7.62 (.308) mags I have for my Precision Rifle.

For hunting the flatter shooting 6.5 CM will permit you to have a greater "margin of error" for holdover.
Eric B.
The charts on post #37 show an insignificant difference in velocity and energy between the two and the 308 has less drop than the CM. And that's comparing a high BC ELDX bullet in the 6.5 and a mediocre bullet in the .308.

Buy whichever. Then if you don't reload, buy a minimum of 500 rounds for it. If you do reload, make sure you get components laid in. I'd probably actually buy the ammo or components first. Way easier to find a firearm these days.

In regards to selection, I'd go 6.5 creedmoor for anything elk sized and down within 500 yards.

308Win for my pick. I've seen big bulls hit with both calibers and when they were hit with the 308 the went down faster. Two of my friends used the 6.5 and they both put three shots into the kill zone and one of my friends buddy's finished off the bull with his 300WSM. When we dressed it out all three of the 6.5s were solid kill zone shots. The other friend was the same way only he had to track his further because his father was only carrying a handgun. Both of them said they would be going back to their 300s after that.

Both are great the 308 will have a better bullet choice from light to heavies. I think 308 has noticeably more recoil. If you like me don't Kidd yourself get one of each and decide for yourself

The charts on post #37 show an insignificant difference in velocity and energy between the two and the 308 has less drop than the CM. And that's comparing a high BC ELDX bullet in the 6.5 and a mediocre bullet in the .308.
Am I reading that chart correctly? Looks like the 308 shoots flatter. Let the gnashing of teeth begin lol.
crushed noo GIF

Am I reading that chart correctly? Looks like the 308 shoots flatter. Let the gnashing of teeth begin lol.
crushed noo GIF
Let's all just ignore the fact that is was light for caliber 308 vs heavy for caliber 6.5 lol. If you chose a light for caliber 6.5 loading it would flip. Besides the point both are going to be very close to eachother within 500 yards

Let's all just ignore the fact that is was light for caliber 308 vs heavy for caliber 6.5 lol. If you chose a light for caliber 6.5 loading it would flip. Besides the point both are going to be very close to eachother within 500 yards
I find it ironic since it was claimed to be a Hornady marketing chart. :)

Recent Posts