308 win and the berger 215

Dang it this thread has me thinking of a 30" light palma barrel. Either remage or shouldered short chamber. rent a reamer and have at it lol.

Running heavies was kind of an afterthought for this rifle unfortunetly. I have an unfired Bigjorn Origin with a 22" 1:10 Bartlien CF in a Rem Varmint contour in a Mesa Altitude stock I plan on using as light weight hunter right now. After Running some numbers, the heavies would 100% be the way to go though. Was kicking around HH's or BD2's but I like the way those heavy Bergers run in a 308.

Running heavies was kind of an afterthought for this rifle unfortunetly. I have an unfired Bigjorn Origin with a 22" 1:10 Bartlien CF in a Rem Varmint contour in a Mesa Altitude stock I plan on using as light weight hunter right now. After Running some numbers, the heavies would 100% be the way to go though. Was kicking around HH's or BD2's but I like the way those heavy Bergers run in a 308.
You could try some 185 Bergers. Nosler has one 168gr load running 2900 fps with Ramshot Big Game. That makes me wonder what a 185 Berger would do with RS BG or RL17.

As noted above, a SAAMI spec .308 chamber really struggles with bullets 200 grs and up. It will shoot them, but you are giving up a lot of powder space because the heavy bullets need to be seated fairly deep.

One of the more common FTR chambers (2013 FTR Team chamber) has a throat .088 longer than the SAAMI throat and Berger 185's and 200's are only seated about 40% of the way down the neck. 30 inch barrels where the norm with some 28's and 32's and a few 34" barrels.

I don't have a lot of current info regarding the 215's other than some of the FTR teams were experimenting with them 6-7 years ago. At the time, the 215's were not scoring as well as the 185's or 200's. That may have changed since.

I'm shooting the 208 Amax in my SAMMI chambered Remington 700 LTR. I'm at 2400 fps but I had them at 2525; accuracy was one hole at 2400 so I stayed there. A .308 will never be a speed demon. I've killed elk, deer and antelope with this combo.