308 Win. ,208gr. Amax ,RL17

Dont know what a 'AI' magazine is. I am loading my 208's at 2.975" which fit in the Wyatt magazine. The only way to get them this length and keep the speed is to run VV N550.

Accuracy International mags. I'm guessing no they are max of 2.810". Although there are Morta mags that allow 2.965". I'm kind of wondering about the 190 bergers???

Wind-drift would be reduced only after 600 yd. distances when comparing 168 gr. to 210 gr. bullets, otherwise it's a none issue

Comparing my personal loads of 178 versus the 208 at 500 yards is still a 22% benefit despite the fact that the 178 is starting out 150 FPS faster than the 208. Besides, most 208/308 shooters that I know are using them out to 1K. Well worth the trade off.

I know this is an old thread, but had to ask a question. What's a good load with the 208's that will fit in an AI magazine? Can it be done and still be a useful load?

The load I have for my gas gun is 38.0gr of Hodgdon H4895. It's not flattening the primers but one can feel a little bit of cratering on the pin strike. Drop it down a bit and work up a load for your rifle as always.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.