308 Win. ,208gr. Amax ,RL17

well guys I am tyring to keep to my word.and for now it seems that the weather has stopped the testing.has been a post for the past few days.but will let you guys know when they hit again.
John

Thanks alot for the quickload data. I remember the thread saying that he was getting 2650fps, with 51gr. of RL17. But, you're right, the accuracy load was 49gr.

I am going to try the load come warmer weather and more time on my hands.

Looking through my Sierra manual, there are quite a few powders that get a 200gr. MK to 2450fps from a 26" barrel. I hope my barrel shoots the RL17, 208gr. Amax combo well. That's a long, high BC bullet to shoot from a 308 Win.

Hey Johnboy, is your rifle a factory stock chamber? If so, does this combo loaded to a COAL of 3" fit in you chamber?

I would certainly think twice before loading to 51 grains based on the 68+kpsi calculated at 49 grains. I was surprised that RL17 could get pressures up that high in a 308. I had figured it was too slow and would be capacity limited. As noted earlier it seems it will shine in rifles with longer magazines to increase the OAL to free up capacity. I am not a competative long range shooter, but I would think that would help make the 308 more competative.

Last edited:
I certainly had no plans to jump right into a load at the top of the charge weight. Simply stating what I' read.

I want to try the heavier, longer bullet mostly for it's wind bucking ability. And it's different and intriguing me.

well guys another gent posted something about the 210gn smk.he was useing 48gn of R17 and a 210gn smk.and was getting good results with it.so here is another bullet to try if you are not an Amax user and like the smk's better.but the other guy hasn't been back sorry but not in my hands.but will keep my word.

well guys the 208gn Amax man hasn't posted again.but the 210gn guy has.and he is getting the same as the 208gn guy.he even posted a pic of a group and it looked really good for a group out past 300.I think it was around 350 +/-.but it showed what looked like a 1 inch group or so.so here you have it.R17 in a 308 useing around 47-49 grains will push a heavy bullet almost like a 300 wsm.so if you are like me when the weather warms up I am going to try one of these bullets maybe both.just wish it was warmer now.

Wow. That is cooking from a 308. I have run the 208 at 2600+ (2500 is my accuracy load) with a 26" barrel and VV N540. I bet if I seated them to the mag length and ran N550 I bet I could reach or even beat 2650.

I read through the thread on SH. Seems doable. It also seems like it is asking alot from the 308. Most guys are having to seat them longer than the mags will allow which isnt a problem for F-class shooting. For hunting it doesnt make a ton of sense unless the rifle is a single shot to begin with.

I have had my best luck with up to 200 grain bullets with the best success coming from 168-190 grain loads. The 208 is working well for some. Maybe in a few years when guys work out all the kinks and a few more powders get tested, maybe the 208 AMAX will be the ticket for 308 longrange hunting.

A load that reaches 1000 pounds of energy at 1000 yards from a 308 would be a dream come true for a 308 nut like myself. Espescially with all that material and low velocity expansion, there wouldnt be much game in the country that would be safe within 1/2 mile+. :)

A load that reaches 1000 pounds of energy at 1000 yards from a 308 would be a dream come true for a 308 nut like myself. Espescially with all that material and low velocity expansion, there wouldnt be much game in the country that would be safe within 1/2 mile+. :)

A 208 or 210 grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2650 and a BC of .649 will get a hair above 1000 ft-lbs at 1000 yards. Out of a .308? I don't know if it is possible.

According to QuickLOAD, that load should produce 2574 fps. from a 20" bbl, which is really close to what he is getting with a pressure of 68,408 psi. and a case fill of 102%, which is not terribly bad.

The same load should give around 2770 out of a 30" bbl with the same pressure.

This is if you jump the bullets, if you jam them the pressure jumps up to 78,447 psi., which is getting a little toasty, but the speed would jump up to 2811 with a 30" bbl.

Hope this helps.

-Erik

Yup. Exact same numbers showing up on my screen. that's at 70F. Take the temperature to 110F and one is looking at a calculated 73,300 psi. Not a good thing.

There is no magic. Every single time someone gets more than expected velocity using off the shelf powders they are getting more than expected pressure. Physics is like that.

Some folks like to roll the dice. Some don't.

Fitch

A 208 or 210 grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2650 and a BC of .649 will get a hair above 1000 ft-lbs at 1000 yards. Out of a .308? I don't know if it is possible.

Ran some rough numbers through the JBM calculator. If your pushing the 208 Amax at 2600 FPS, the the 210 grain Henson with a BC of 1.00 (if you believe it) would hit with just under 1500 ft-lbs at 100 yards. Hell of an impact for a .308

The same round out of a 300 WM at 3000 FPS would hit with over 2200 FT-LBS at 1000 yards and still moving over 2000 FPS.

Something about the HAT just doesn't sound right. Maybe it's just me.

Fitch,

Where do you input different temperatures on QuickLOAD?

Thank you.

-X3M

Its a bit arcane.

Just to the left of the drop down box where the powder name is selected is a small square icon that looks like a hand holding a pen. Click on it and just above the "apply & calc" button in the lower left corner a small square icon with a thermometer and the letter "T" will appear. Click on this temperature icon and another box will open up where you can enter the temperature.

After entering the temperature and clicking "OK", click apply and calc to have the model re-run at the new temperature. If you save one temperature case as a reference you can compare the performance at two temperatures. Moving the data to QuickTarget will allow comparing trajectories and drop as a function of temperature.

Hope this helps.

Fitch

Fitch,
I looked for it until it drove me crazy, so I figured I would ask, it's so easy now that you told me! :D

Thank you!

-X3M

well guys just left snipershide and he has posted that he droped a full grain.so the new load is 48.0gn of R17.and said he did this because of the hard lift from the bolt.but still getting very good results with the new load.even posted some pics of a few groups he shot.so here is the newest news on this topic.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.