208gr Amax

Load workup for the 300 win so far in a savage and a styer 300 win mag 75gr of RL-25
win brass, 215M, and 208. Both are shooting a sub min at 100yds. Up the load to 77.5
and the savage shot a sub group and the styer was close to 3/4 this was a 5 shot
group. Brass prep for the rifle primer pockets, flasholes, sized to the chamber, clean necks
with nylon brush, and rotated 90 degrees in dies to reset bullets for trueness.
Plan on working with retumbo on the same rifles, all else done the same.

90 deg. rotation

This is suppose to 'alleviate' any off-center variances that may be in the seating dies. I have been doing this for years. I know alot of other folks who have also. Just seat the bullet half way, rotate case and seat bullet fully is how I do it. Does it work..I think so, but I don't have a run out gauge as I don't shoot bench to verify.

Intersting, thanks. I'll have to give it a shot or three. I have a couple boxes of the 208s I'm getting ready to load for my 300 WM. Once I find a load to work with I'll run a decent test to see if I can see a difference.

Acloco, a week or so is up. Have you had a chance to shoot those rounds you loaded with retumbo?

Results were excellent. Recoil was completely different than previous bullets of 175-180 grain.

Still under 8" at 1000 yards. Velocity is in the 27xx area. Need to play with seating depth just a touch.

Oh...don't sneeze at the 8" group. This is a completely factory Savage rifle...single shot, heavy barrel, & laminated stock. This puppy SHOOTS!

I'd be happy with an 8" group at 1k out of a stock rifle. Now I'm just more and more eager to get my bullets loaded and tested.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.