.308 w/ 10.25 twist - bullet & powcer recommendations?

Kae006

Just picked up a Bell Precision Rifle in .308 with a 1-10.25 Bartlein barrel. It did okay with factory SSA 150gr ammo but I'm getting ready to order some bullets and trying to determine what weight to go with. I'm leaning towards the Hornady ELD-X in 178gr once available but I'm new to .308's and wanted to see what people recommended trying before I place an order. Would also be interested in powder rec's as well. gun)

What will the rifle be used for hunting,target? I have two 308 one is shooting the 175SMK and Varget, the other one 130HP and Varget.

What will the rifle be used for hunting,target? I have two 308 one is shooting the 175SMK and Varget, the other one 130HP and Varget.

Hunting will be it's main purpose but it'll see quite a bit of range time. I was leaning towards the ELD-X as it seems like it'll be a great hunting round that will double as a long range match load. I have quite a few boxes of Nosler match grade 155gr but I'm hesitant to go out and get sighted in with them then switch to something totally different for hunting.

If it were me I would probably try an Amax out if your planning on going to the new Hornady bullet when available.

It's definitely worth your time to read up on the .308 and heavy bullets. I load a 208 Amax with Re 17 and it is an awesome hunting round, not to mention accurate. I have a 20" 12 twist barrel and at 6000 feet it will make 1000 yards.

I was told 10.25 but I'm not the one who ordered the barrel used in the build, I'll have to check it with a guide rod.

Twist? The Hornaday 178 Amax work great in a 10 -11.25 twist barrel. If I was shooting a 10 like I used to I would possibly shoot the 208 Amax.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts