Bullet recommendations

RCMSTER

So, I'm taking my first trip to the U.P. in Michigan deer hunting this year. Trying to decide which rifles to take, and as many as there is in my gun cabinet, that's a chore in itself, but I digress. Looking at my reloading logs for my Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 257 Robert's, I've had pretty good luck with the 98 grain and the 104 grain hammers, and am leaning that way, just to see for myself if they're all that and a bag o' chips. My question is which one. Out of the rifle I speak of, I'm pushing both bullets out at 2900-3000 fps, using Reloader 17. Accuracy with both bullets after load work-up was 9/16-7/8 inch groups @ 100 for 4 shot groups. Haven't shot past that to see how they look @ 200, so I dunno. I do know that the 116 gr hammer was just ok @100, and miserable @200, so they're totally out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The 98 grain and 104 grainers do shoot well, at least I think they do. The 116 grainers, I bought knowing they needed a faster than 1-10 twist. They were a gamble, and did indeed, need a faster twist. I'm looking for opinions on terminal performance of the 98 and 104 bullets, and thanks for asking.

Recent Posts