308 Norma Magnum barrel twist question

fiftybmg

This is my first post, so first, greetings to all from Johannesburg, South Africa.

I bought a second hand 308 Norma Mag, built on a P14 action, on auction.

First thing I did when I got it home was to check the twist, which is 1 in 14.

Is there any special reason for such a slow twist ?

Why have a custom 308 NM barrel and limit it to 150 grainers ?

The only one that can accurately answer that is the person who had it built. My guess is they wanted to shoot lightweight bullets, probably lighter than 150 gr, at high velocity.

The CIP spec for that cartridge is 1 in 10.

I would like to know, what the original owners plan for this rifle was, with such a slow twist...

Welcome to the forum. Your location makes me want to plan a trip back. Been a few years. Very cool city. Your prob out of luck with any large Bullets but hey some of the light ones can be hammers. As a matter of fact I shoot 100 grain cutting edge and they are awsome. 125 gr noslers work well to. Also look at HAMMER bullets they are coming out with a new light weight .30 bullet.

Welcome to the forum. Your location makes me want to plan a trip back. Been a few years. Very cool city. Your prob out of luck with any large Bullets but hey some of the light ones can be hammers. As a matter of fact I shoot 100 grain cutting edge and they are awsome. 125 gr noslers work well to. Also look at HAMMER bullets they are coming out with a new light weight .30 bullet.

Thank you. There is a local manufacturer of monolithics called GS Custom, I've ordered 120 grainers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.