308 norma mag

shade mt

have a chance to do a little carpentry work for a interarms 308 norma mag. Anybody know what the book value is for one ? I know ammo is hard to come buy, but i think norma still makes factory brass. It looks ballistically equal to the 300 win but with a longer neck, which might be a good thing. Are they a accurate round ? how about interarms are they good shooters? It sure is a nice looking rifle.

have a chance to do a little carpentry work for a interarms 308 norma mag. Anybody know what the book value is for one ? I know ammo is hard to come buy, but i think norma still makes factory brass. It looks ballistically equal to the 300 win but with a longer neck, which might be a good thing. Are they a accurate round ? how about interarms are they good shooters? It sure is a nice looking rifle.

The Interarms actions are very good.The barrels are like most factory barrels ,Some good Some
bad.so you will just have to hope it's a good one.

The 308 Norma mag is all most identical to the 30/338 Win, and load data Is the same.

They can be very accurate and a nice one should cost between $400.00 and $500.00
dollars.

They are worth more than that but they are not very popular and ammo is hard to find.

If you reload you can make your brass from 338 win mag (Easy).

J E CUSTOM

thanks, J E CUSTOM

I knew it was based on a 338 win case , would it be as simple as neck sizing a 338 case ? guess i could look up the specs in Hornady manual.

thanks, J E CUSTOM

I knew it was based on a 338 win case , would it be as simple as neck sizing a 338 case ? guess i could look up the specs in Hornady manual.

I think the 338 is closer to the Norma and would be easier to size and both would need to
be fire formed to the 308 NM.

When ever I use a different case to form the one I want I always try to size down to have
thicker neck wall if I can and then turn the necks for more uniform bullet grip.

If you can get the correct brass it is always best because of the extra work to convert one
type of brass to another. also the correct head stamp is easier to deal with.

It is a potent round and if the price is right would be a good allround hunting rifle.

J E CUSTOM

I have this very same gun that i picked up a couple yrs back. i was able to buy brass and dies from midway i think. it has a very skinny little barrel and it heats up quick and starts shooting all over. i am tempted to get a premium barrel with a brake and screw on it in the same caliber as it seems a very accurate and potent round. with full power loads and a seven lb rifle it is the most wicked kicker i think i have ever shot! the action is very smooth and it has the best trigger i have ever felt on a mauser action. AJ

I hunted with one for over 20 years and shot many big game animals with it.

The best reload I could come up with was an exact copy of the Norma factory loads = 75grs Norma MRP with their 180gr yellow ball tipped bullets (can't remember what thye are called right now) never shot over 3/4" @ 100 yards with that load.

This 180gr load from my 26" barrel gave an average of 3060fps.

Excellent do everything round and Graf & Son's is where I bought my factory Norma brass from.

I have this very same gun that i picked up a couple yrs back. i was able to buy brass and dies from midway i think. it has a very skinny little barrel and it heats up quick and starts shooting all over. i am tempted to get a premium barrel with a brake and screw on it in the same caliber as it seems a very accurate and potent round. with full power loads and a seven lb rifle it is the most wicked kicker i think i have ever shot! the action is very smooth and it has the best trigger i have ever felt on a mauser action. AJ

With the 308 NM you can get buy without a break if you install a #6 contour barrel. (.750 at
the muzzle) or heaver er but anything lighter probably needs a break.

J E CUSTOM

what is the absolute top dollar you could get for it ? the guy needs some roofing work done badly but is in somewhat of a fix financially because of the economy. I want to allow him the absolute top value for it and then mabye a little more. I don't believe in kicking a man when he's down so i want to make sure i do a little more than the gun's worth,
thanks

what is the absolute top dollar you could get for it ? the guy needs some roofing work done badly but is in somewhat of a fix financially because of the economy. I want to allow him the absolute top value for it and then mabye a little more. I don't believe in kicking a man when he's down so i want to make sure i do a little more than the gun's worth,
thanks

With out looking at the rifle $400.00 would be a minimum and if its nice and your doing the
labor then I would allow him $500.00 dollars for it .

Any good rifle is worth $500.00 even though you may not be able to sell it for that for one
reason or another .

Bartering is good for both parties.

J E CUSTOM

I loaded for may Dad's .308 NM. It's a bush gun for on the riverboat so it has iron sights and a 22" barrel. I wasnt all that impressed with it until I started reloading for him. The very first load I tested (I dont remember the exact load, but it was a 180grn pill infront of 4831) cut a ragged hole at 50 paces, open sights. I just about never shoot open sights (mostly because I'm terrible at it). I wanted to put a scope on it and see what it would do but never did. This was an old rifle that had seen better days I might add. I now really like the round.

my, friends uncle owns one,that i load for. very acurate, but throat is eroaded now. best to make cases from 300win mag, easier to make from 338win mag, but come out a little too short. grafsandsons sells norma cases for about 130.00 per 100, for either 308norma or 300win mag.

Hi
I do not have a Interarms in 308 mag., I have been shooting that caliber for 40+ years and just love it. I will not tell you it's better than any 30 cal. mag., you can find brass $ but it's the price to pay to play. Use mine for anything from Groundhogs to Black Bear, works well. Price wise I agree with the others, 4 to 5 is fair.

HK

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.