308 kicked @$$

I use a BOG pod death grip when I shoot my .308 Savage striker pistol. It pretty much does away with any felt recoil/muzzle flip. That gun has a factory muzzle brake that is adjustable so you can open or close it. You may want to take a look at the BOG. I have owned both versions of it, first the aluminum one and now the carbon one. They are both good, but the carbon is about a pound lighter is all, makes it a little easier to carry while hunting. Works great for steadying a rifle for long shots as well.

If you think a .308 kicks too much - you do need either a brake - or a lesser caliber. How big are the deer and how far are the shots normally ?

25/06 will do the job, less recoil. There several 6mm rifle that will do the job too. The other question is you have a butt pad on the rifle to start with? Generally hunting should be a one shot ordeal to take down a deer. Set up correctly the 25/06 will do an easy 500yds. As with all rifles, shot placement is the key to the game. By all means use ear protection at the range, no matter with or without a muzzle brake.
A 308 is a fine rifle too, and it doesn't kick that much. Try some nice mag that will wake you up and take notices.

There are several powders that allow you to load very light recoil 308. 125 ballistic tips hammer deer at reduced kids load level. The 130 Barnes is another if you want 100% pass through shots. If you decide to go after bigger game you can use full power loads for that. If you go smaller it might limit what you can hunt. Or just have 2 barrels. Find a cheap used barrel and have a smith cut and crown it to the length you want. The most fun I ever had with a pistol was a 45-70 encore with the factory brake on it. Was knocking down steel rams at 500 yards with ease. Not much recoil either. If your hearing is going you should be using ear protection for everything. Especially pistols. Even a 22 lr pistol is damaging your ears more than you think. Is it worth going deaf over? I lost most of my hearing in the military and it sucks being deaf or mostly deaf. My .02 cents on the subject. Spend it wisely.
shep
Your right about the hearing protection, when I was in the army, I was on the m60a3 tank, our protection was not the best, that is where I lost most of it

25/06 will do the job, less recoil. There several 6mm rifle that will do the job too. The other question is you have a butt pad on the rifle to start with? Generally hunting should be a one shot ordeal to take down a deer. Set up correctly the 25/06 will do an easy 500yds. As with all rifles, shot placement is the key to the game. By all means use ear protection at the range, no matter with or without a muzzle brake.
A 308 is a fine rifle too, and it doesn't kick that much. Try some nice mag that will wake you up and take notices.
I've got a 308 rifle, but I love pistol hunting

If he hasn't already begun the process for a suppressor he's not going to have it by hunting season.

You should wear hearing protection anytime you shoot a centerfire- rifle or pistol, braked or unbraked. I keep my muffs stretched across my leg and it takes all of about three seconds to pick them up and put them on.

I have a 6.5 Grendel pistol and it will kill a deer easily within 200 yards or less with a pistol barrel, if you do your part on shot placement (just like any other caliber). If you have an Encore, then a .243 barrel would be the way to go and those barrels should not be that hard to find. However, I have heard some folks talk about having issues locating .243 ammo last deer season (November) but it seems to be loosening up a little.
Ammo is no problem, I reload

If he hasn't already begun the process for a suppressor he's not going to have it by hunting season.

You should wear hearing protection anytime you shoot a centerfire- rifle or pistol, braked or unbraked. I keep my muffs stretched across my leg and it takes all of about three seconds to pick them up and put them on.
Get .243 85gr. Sierra H.P.B.T. 3000fps. Great for deer in Alabama.
I love that bullet

It was a brace with no pad, I've got mags. in rifles